Question Huge FPS drops in SOTTR and low GPU/CPU usage?

steviewonder87

Commendable
Feb 19, 2017
So I recently upgraded my system with a GTX 1070 and i7 4790k with the hope that I'd be able to play games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider with much better performance than my GTX 970 and i5 3350p, however my FPS is still tanking on certain parts of the built in benchmark, beyond what I've seen from videos on Youtube and comments online from people with the same/very similar specs.

Specifically this area https://prnt.sc/mu8ii6

The GPU and CPU usage seems rather low to me? It bounces around a lot but surely they should be much nearer to being maxed out, especially since they are apparently struggling at this point? I don't think I have any kind of severe bottleneck from either processor and I've seen videos of people with the same specs getting 100% GPU usage here so what gives?

I'm playing 1080p with maxed out settings (except for TAA) and get 65fps on average according the benchmark, but obviously drops into the mid 30s is far from ideal.

Side note, I have my CPU minimum processor state set to 100%, and this CPU should turbo boost to 4.4ghz under load shouldn't it? How come it goes between 4.1/4.2 and only occasionally hits 4.3/4.4ghz while running this benchmark? I haven't had any issues in other games (as far as I'm aware, although most I've tried are nowhere near as demanding as this one) but is something wrong with my hardware/software or am I missing something here? Note that I'm on Win 8.1 so I'm using DX11 (I've read perfomance can be both better and worse than DX12 from varying sources) and the CPU is running stock clocks and there is a mild OC on the GPU, also running 16GB of DDR3 1600 RAM (but since it's only using 5-6GB don't think that's an issue).

Last edited: