Huge fps fluctuation bf3

jabbothehut

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Ok I know bf3 is quite a graphically taxing game but still it was made almost 3 years ago.
How come when I rund it on ultra settings with a gtx 780 (i have done a clean install of drivers) it fluctuates from 120+ fps to sometimes 44fps in literally the space of a few seconds?
Can anyone help me out here with some wisdomly advice?

Thanks

Solution
You can probably fix the issue with a better cpu cooler or just re-applying thermal paste and improving air circulation in the chassis.

To prevent thermal throttling

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Type "render.perfoverlayvisible 1" into the game's console. Then watch the graph when the frame rate drops occur, if the yellow line spikes before the green and/or is generally higher than the green line then it your CPU causing the problem and causing the massive FPS drops as it struggles to perform the calculations required in time. If the green line spikes then it is your GPU.

Full specs would be nice and keep an eye on temps and utilisation of our components.

jabbothehut

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

thanks man did what u said and yes the cpu is spiking all over the place and a lot higher than the card itself although ive heard bf3+4 are very unstable for cpu.
erm specs are: i5-4760k @ 3.4 ghz
evga gtx 780
8gb ram

jabbothehut

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

Thanks!
Yeh need to undust my pc case caus it has been closed for months now without me cleaning the inside.
Thank you again!!!