Huge Overheating Problems?

questkid44

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi, I have a core i7 950 and it has been getting around 80 degrees C under P95 SFFT load. Are these dangerous temperatures? I have a Zalman CNPS10X Optima HSF. Would i benefit from a H100i or H80i for overclocking? I cam currently runing at stock.

Solution

Oh, well in that case... yeah you're going to likely run in to cooling and throttling issues. Easiest and cheapest thing to do first is the reseating and reapplying of compound and then going in and retesting. Make sure you're using a good compound. I personally like Noctua NT-H1, but there are a number of them out there. Arctic Silver is the easiest to get a hold of, and its not bad, but it has a very long cure time so its not a great one to use if you're trying to do a quick test.
If you're normal usage isnt hitting in to that high a temp, its not as big of a concern. But yes, using the tests you're using you're running too hot.

The Tcase of your CPU shouldn't hit over 67.9C according to Intels specs. Chances are tho, you're reading the Tcore which usually runs ~ 6 to 10 degrees hotter than Tcase. So basically you should be trying to keep your temps below 78C.

You're running what should be a better than stock cooling, so the first thing I'd recommend doing is reseating and reapplying you're thermal compound on the cooler. Then test again.

Yes, Prime95 or IBT are wholly unrealistic workloads to expect you're computer to do, but they do let you know how stable and efficient your cooling is.

If you can't get your temps down under that 78C level at 100% load, and you're concerned about the temps, you may want to consider a different cooler. The Cooler Master 212 Evo is the go to cooler in cases like this. It's a better cooler and quieter to boot without breaking the bank on something like a Noctua or water cooling setup.

Oh, well in that case... yeah you're going to likely run in to cooling and throttling issues. Easiest and cheapest thing to do first is the reseating and reapplying of compound and then going in and retesting. Make sure you're using a good compound. I personally like Noctua NT-H1, but there are a number of them out there. Arctic Silver is the easiest to get a hold of, and its not bad, but it has a very long cure time so its not a great one to use if you're trying to do a quick test.

Solution
The 212 Plus was rated as a better cooler, and the Evo has been rated as a better cooler than the plus. I didn't find any direct comparisons between the Evo and your Zalman but the logic should go with the Evo being a better cooler. It's also apparently quieter, which is always a nice plus to have.

The downside of that long cure time is you wont get firm temp numbers till its cured but you should be able to at least see if reapplying helped.

The 212 Evo is listed as working with 1366. I don't believe you need extra hardware but I'd double check the parts you have with the parts listed on the current model on their site.