Humble THQ Bundle Concludes With Over $5 Million Earned

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
best 10 dollars i spent. miss the 1st Humble Bundle deal but oh boy i love this service. looking forward to see what other publishers will do.

G

Loved this Humble Bundle. I could go for another PC bundle or hopefully an Xbox 360 arcade bundle perhaps including banjo kazooie and banjo tooie :D

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The corps threw big money to run up the minimum for the complete pack. It had nothing to do with giving money to the company as i'm sure it all went to charity as write offs.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
thq was VERY smart with this bundle. four main reasons:

first, to get more people excited for the new company heroes
two, to get people into darksiders so they pick up the second one
three, to get people excited for metro last light if they didnt already have 2033
four, selling the saints row the third BUT NOT THE COMPLETE PACK, essentially getting people to buy more than one copy for the same game.

this was more of an investment than anything, and will probably prevent them from bankruptcy.

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]The corps threw big money to run up the minimum for the complete pack. It had nothing to do with giving money to the company as i'm sure it all went to charity as write offs.[/citation]

I don't think you understand one fundamental thing. Take 5,097,550.77(Total raised) - 25000(Big spenders) = 5072550.97(Amount raised without big spenders)

Take 885,301(Total spenders) - 15(Approx. number of big spenders) = 885286 (All except big spenders)

Total raised / All except big spenders = 5.73

Basically, those big spenders raised the average cost by 3 cents. Those monsters, how could they?

P.S. AFAIK you don't get a tax receipt for donating to the Humble Bundle, which means it isn't a write off, which means they aren't the monsters I previously claimed them to be... Oh my!!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Robert Pankiw[/nom]I don't think you understand one fundamental thing. Take 5,097,550.77(Total raised) - 25000(Big spenders) = 5072550.97(Amount raised without big spenders)Take 885,301(Total spenders) - 15(Approx. number of big spenders) = 885286 (All except big spenders)Total raised / All except big spenders = 5.73Basically, those big spenders raised the average cost by 3 cents. Those monsters, how could they?P.S. AFAIK you don't get a tax receipt for donating to the Humble Bundle, which means it isn't a write off, which means they aren't the monsters I previously claimed them to be... Oh my!![/citation]
actually, your logic is flawed. let's say there were only 100 sales, and one guy comes along and donates 10 grand. what do you think is going to happen? those large donations were done early enough to drive that average way up, and it eventually trickled down as the cheapos spent around 1 cent per bundle.

i don't think it was evil of them. it was a tactical move, and it was still a deal. nothing to whine about. if you can't afford $10 for games, you probably shouldn't be gaming.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]actually, your logic is flawed. let's say there were only 100 sales, and one guy comes along and donates 10 grand. what do you think is going to happen? those large donations were done early enough to drive that average way up, and it eventually trickled down as the cheapos spent around 1 cent per bundle.i don't think it was evil of them. it was a tactical move, and it was still a deal. nothing to whine about. if you can't afford $10 for games, you probably shouldn't be gaming.[/citation]

Minimum was $1 to actually get any games.

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]actually, your logic is flawed. let's say there were only 100 sales, and one guy comes along and donates 10 grand. what do you think is going to happen? those large donations were done early enough to drive that average way up, and it eventually trickled down as the cheapos spent around 1 cent per bundle.i don't think it was evil of them. it was a tactical move, and it was still a deal. nothing to whine about. if you can't afford $10 for games, you probably shouldn't be gaming.[/citation]

True, but, they didn't do it like that. (P.S. I thank Novulux for reminding me of the min. donation, I forgot about that) I clearly remember the largest donation while at the 2 million dollar mark was 1050$, and the 8, 9, and 10th largest were all less than a grand.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the time those large sums were dropped makes a huge difference to the average, but, they didn't put them down at the very beginning, which diminished their effect.

In the end, my point was to show bak0n the ridiculousness of what he had said, and not to get into a discussion of how donations over the bundles life dynamically changed the average. By the way, I looked to see if there was a way to get a tax receipt, and there doesn't seem to be, which was equally important in my answer to bak0n and his accusation against the big spenders.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
If the huge donations were done early enough then they would have pushed the average price way up which would screw over the early adopters from getting all the games. Anyway what THQ earned from this was pathetic so they will still go bankrupt anyway. Gamers are so mean sometimes.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Saint's Row The Third is a blast. I wouldn't have picked it up if it was for this deal because I labeled it as a GTA ripoff.

Thanks THQ and Humble Bundle for showing me otherwise. ^_^

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
So who is Jason Rubin? Does he own THQ, investing money, thereby reclaiming any money he gave to THQ? He's number 1 and 7 on the list of donors, pledging over $11,000.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]So who is Jason Rubin? Does he own THQ, investing money, thereby reclaiming any money he gave to THQ? He's number 1 and 7 on the list of donors, pledging over $11,000.[/citation]
He's President of THQ and according to his Twitter he gave 95% to charity and 5% to Humble Bundle for both donations. Whether you believe him or not is irrelevant. He intentionally didn't make his $10,000 donation until the end of the last day in order to not drive up the average price of the bundle.

Great PR move? Absolutely. Selfish money grabbing-move? I think not.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]He's President of THQ and according to his Twitter he gave 95% to charity and 5% to Humble Bundle for both donations. Whether you believe him or not is irrelevant. He intentionally didn't make his $10,000 donation until the end of the last day in order to not drive up the average price of the bundle.Great PR move? Absolutely. Selfish money grabbing-move? I think not.[/citation]
I hate to ask, but does THQ qualify as a charity given the recent financial problems they've had?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]Saint's Row The Third is a blast. I wouldn't have picked it up if it was for this deal because I labeled it as a GTA ripoff. Thanks THQ and Humble Bundle for showing me otherwise. ^_^[/citation]

Yeah I think all the games are actually pretty good. This bundle is like THQ showing us that they make good games. I've been playing Fallout New Vegas on my new i5 Ivybridge system though and haven't had time to really get into any of the new ones. They're installed and waiting on my desktop though.

Status
Not open for further replies.