Huntkey is still worth it?

WinterSolstice

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Hello computer enthusiasts. Just today, I bought a Huntkey X-treme 600W PSU at a local store. I am using a very old generic PSU for 5 years, and I thought it was time to buy a labeled one. The PSU looked quite decent as it had much more pins that I will use and even had an 80% rating printed on the box. But based upon research, I found out that Huntkey is a terrible brand as it has a very bad reputation and may cause problems to my unit. I recently bought a GTX 1050 TI, and as much as possible I want it to be safe. Though there are some articles (very few among the ones saying Huntkey is bad) saying that Huntkey is fine as long as it will not go beyond the true rating. Is the new PSU worth keeping?

BringerOfTea

Reputable
I remember reading through the tier list of here on TomsHardware, and as Rocky statet above, that psu is rubbish... I dont know what you paid for it or where you got it, but if possible return it. And just search around the forum for PSU recommendations and you will find pretty soild advice. no point in getting new pc parts when the power unit is totally unreliable

FD2Raptor

Admirable
I bought a Huntkey 10 years ago when Seasonic, FSP, etc... presence were effectively zero in my country. And during the 5 years of operations, it killed my graphic card, 2 HDDs and took the MB with it when it finally died.

This was just a C2D E6320 (TDP 65W), Geforce 8500GT(unknown peak 3D consumption, but typical 3D is ~27W), 2GB DDR2 ~~ an up-to-150W build on a "550W" huntkey in case you were thinking that I piled together some kind of super high-end build on top of that weak foundation.

Long story short, even if it seems to be working, you'd do yourself and the components inside your PC a great favor by just return it for something better in the first place.

WinterSolstice

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

I see. I was hoping Huntkey would do good since it the X-treme was newly released, however it still carries the bad reputation. Guess I'll stick to my old PSU since it served me well.

WinterSolstice

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Guess I was deceived by their marketing strategy. Never thought that it would be rubbish since it was sold by a known PC hub in the Philippines (PC Express). Thanks :D

WinterSolstice

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

The moment I asked for a PSU, the store (PC Express) said that their Seasonic and Silverstone ones were out of stock. Gotta stick to the known brands from now on :)

WinterSolstice

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

As of now, I have no money for a new PSU and I'm hoping that PC Express (the store that sold me the PSU) would consider my request to change the PSU for another brand. I would gladly accept a lower priced PSU as long as the brand is in tier 2 to 3.