[SOLVED] HWMointor Showing I Have a Hard Drive in my GPU ?

Jan 14, 2022
So a couple weeks ago when I started my pc I was greeted with a new screen, a dual boot screen telling to choose between Windows 10 my normal choice and then other choice is blank.I click the blank one nothing loads just a blank screen.To my paranoia I decided to wipe all my drives and do a fresh install of Windows.Even after cleaning all the drives the dual boot screens still persists and with none of my data being comprised I just left it be.Fast forward now I go look on HWmonitor as im mining and I notice under my graphics card there's a drive I've never seen.It's called HDD4 and I can't even find it in disk management or using cmd.Would love some help on this as I've never seen anything like it and can't find anything about it online.
WgXm82b.png
tzRJwrL.png

Solution
Yep this is completely normal. It's the way almost all gamepass PC games are packaged. From what I've read on Microsofts developer pages it's the same virtual disc image format the Xbox uses. XVD.sys is a driver that was installed in the min version of windows 10 you have to have to use GamePass. Microsoft calls it " Microsoft Gaming Filesystem driver". It's literally the exact same way the xbox console games are packaged. Part of Microsofts goal of making developing games for Windows and Xbox as similar as possible and moving a game from one to the other as easy as possible. Think of them like ISO's.

link

It is the first time I seen it. Have to remember this one time I seen it for next time...

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you look at the tree (line) its attached to, its root is the motherboard, not GPU

when you reinstalled windows, were any drives apart from the 2 needed to set up dual boot in the pc?
is this intel or AMD? Just wondering if its optane perhaps?

Is that cpuZ HWMonitor?

try running this and see if it finds more than 4 drives - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022
No I only have a second boot drive of linux but its on usb hard drive' . It is Intel and I am using cpu z HWmointor,do you think it's a intel optane setting ? I intstalled hdsentinel and still only 4 drives showing with this mysterious hdd4 nowhere to be seen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So a couple weeks ago when I started my pc I was greeted with a new screen, a dual boot screen telling to choose between Windows 10 my normal choice and then other choice is blank.
Even after cleaning all the drives the dual boot screens still persists

silly me thought you were dual boot. No, thats an error? Wonder if you got a windows update just before as sometimes they can mess up boot. and give you multiple windows choices.
This shows how to set which windows to boot too - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...system-load-startup-windows-10-a.html#option3

what are specs of the PC? Did you make it as if you did, I would assume you would know if you bought Optane or not.

so it just shows in HWmonitor. I can't find another example of that happening.
Could try HWINFO and see if it sees it, might be um... a bug?
can you right click the icons in hwmonitor and get any info from them?

hdd 4 isn't the most active drive, .01% maximum (I assume the columns I can see are Current, Minimum, Maximum?
but then its about same as mine
W4cuPTW.jpg

so that doesn't really say much.

Jan 14, 2022
silly me thought you were dual boot. No, thats an error? Wonder if you got a windows update just before as sometimes they can mess up boot. and give you multiple windows choices.
This shows how to set which windows to boot too - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...system-load-startup-windows-10-a.html#option3

what are specs of the PC? Did you make it as if you did, I would assume you would know if you bought Optane or not.

so it just shows in HWmonitor. I can't find another example of that happening.
Could try HWINFO and see if it sees it, might be um... a bug?
can you right click the icons in hwmonitor and get any info from them?

hdd 4 isn't the most active drive, .01% maximum (I assume the columns I can see are Current, Minimum, Maximum?
but then its about same as mine
W4cuPTW.jpg

so that doesn't really say much.

3z3A4zL.png

Hmm shows up here.Could somehow be old corrupted windows that somehow survived.Looks like the read rate actually went up and the activity too weird.
yyOaEuV.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows doesn't see it, HD sentinal doesn't see it.
HWmonitor does.
we don't know anything apart from its label
you would think it has to show in bios.

Nice to get another one on side of HWmonitor.
I downloaded the cpuZ one you use and you can't do anything in it really. It can't see my AIO either.

Can you try HWINFO and see if it see HDD 4? it contains way more info than monitor does.
If the hdd shows on its senssors tab, then you should be able to find it on main window under drives

what motherboard is it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you change anything in msconfig to get it to show it as default or was it already?
You can delete the one just called (/windows) in msconfig

can I see disk management? I want to make sure boot partition is on right drive. hate to delete that windows and then not boot

removing windows won't explain the extra drive in HWmonitor
I assume the linux USB hdd wasn't attached?

Jan 14, 2022
windows doesn't see it, HD sentinal doesn't see it.
HWmonitor does.
we don't know anything apart from its label
you would think it has to show in bios.

Nice to get another one on side of HWmonitor.
I downloaded the cpuZ one you use and you can't do anything in it really. It can't see my AIO either.

Can you try HWINFO and see if it see HDD 4? it contains way more info than monitor does.
If the hdd shows on its senssors tab, then you should be able to find it on main window under drives

what motherboard is it?
Well it pulled up in HWInfo and the information of the drive is very scarce and no the usb hard drive is not plugged in.
This is all it gives me for the drive HDD4 which is called MSFT XVDD which is a realted serveic to xbox game pass I think.I'll do some digging around for this .
4S9TXmZ.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yep this is completely normal. It's the way almost all gamepass PC games are packaged. From what I've read on Microsofts developer pages it's the same virtual disc image format the Xbox uses. XVD.sys is a driver that was installed in the min version of windows 10 you have to have to use GamePass. Microsoft calls it " Microsoft Gaming Filesystem driver". It's literally the exact same way the xbox console games are packaged. Part of Microsofts goal of making developing games for Windows and Xbox as similar as possible and moving a game from one to the other as easy as possible. Think of them like ISO's.

link

It is the first time I seen it. Have to remember this one time I seen it for next time...

Last edited:
Solution