HWMonitor CPU Package Temp vs. GIGABYTE Hardware Monitor CPU Temp?

c_knight

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Hi everyone, I've been doing some stress testing in Prime95 and noticed a discrepancy between the temperature for my 4670k in HWMonitor and in the GIgabyte Hardware Monitor software.

lRC1LvN.png

I figured that the TMPIN0, TMPIN1 and TMPIN2 readings in HWMonitor correspond to the SYSTEM, PCH, and CPU temps in Gigabyte Hardware Monitor respectively. TMPIN2, which is supposedly the CPU temp, reads 71C, while the HWMonitor CPU Package temp reads 78C.

I know that the CPU package temp in HWMonitor is the one that I should rely on, but what exactly is TMPIN2 reading from for a CPU temperature? Is it a different sensor than the one that HWMonitor uses for the Package temp?

Solution

Hi,

The CPU package temperature and...

Hi,

The CPU package temperature and the individual core temperatures are derived from Intel's Digital Thermal Sensor embedded within the package itself.

The motherboard temperatures and voltages are derived from a monitoring chip such as the Nuvoton NCT6776F (I'm not sure which one Gigabyte uses for their motherboards, but Asus uses the one that I mentioned). This is located on the motherboard and is connected to several thermistors or thermocouples, one of which is usually located very close to the CPU socket.
Given that the Intel DTS is closest to the actual heat source it will always register the highest temperature, and can reasonably be up to 10 degrees higher (or more if advanced cooling is used) than the nearest motherboard monitoring point.

Solution

c_knight

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

Lots of good info, thanks for the reply.