HWmonitor high intermittent spike in CPU package temperatures with overclocked AMD fx 9590

numdi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
hello everyone! I'm reaching out to look for anyone whoever had a crazy spike in HWmonitor particularly with the package temp reading! i have been working out a glitch of intermittent random freezing while playing forza 4, watching my thermal margin for throttling n everything else like VRM overheating. that i think is high? my real question right now is i got a crazy interment reading of 129c on my package temp in HWmonitor! that's 263 F!!! it happens when i idle or under load!
I'm using AMD overdrive n HWmonitor to help find my glitch.. but is this a possible glitch I'm seeing or a real reading? this glitch happened with older version of HWmonitor and the newest one!
update!! while i type this just got one for 225c!!! taking screen shot!!
I'm running a fx 9590 overclocked around 5.2 MHZ @ max 1.500 volts my temps are just under throttling when doing stress test but 10 + degrees under while I'm gaming or lower!!
tomorrow ill be re-doing my chip with liquid metal n re-doing my VRM heat sink with quality thermal past to see if that helps VRM temps that read 136 degrees F ( these readings come from a cooking thermometer laying on the heat sink.. :) I'm going to try to add screen shots to my post!
if they don't work hope i gave enough info for some feed back.. thanks!!
my rig..
mobo...asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
AMD fx 9590
ram.. g skill..1866 9-10-9 timing (2x8 sticks)
asus GPU 1070 O.C
psu.. seasonic focus 850 (platinum)
thermaltake 3.0 water cooler w/ 3 extra 120 mm fans (push pull set-up)
O.S. windows 10 and linux 18.3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1xMXCHp40zzi3WPEo2ighb0Xf7TnR4Z/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOzUEcOLSFTAxXGjMnM7Hd2CzgokSM-F/view?usp=sharing

When you are using a thermocouple to measure temperature the connection has to be secure. It literally determines the temperature by measuring the very small changes in resistance. So any problem with the leads or the connector will result in those spikes that you mention due to just vibration.

It is a very common issue.

Especially if there is a weakening of the leads, the spikes will get worse. And eventually one of the spikes will become permanent.

numdi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014

thanks for your reply! but I meant ( thermometer ) like the one you use to check temp in a cooler! I'd love to have real test equipment and a oscilloscope !! i do have a small amount of electronic ability, and your post just reminded me to look for bad solder point..but i doubt that could be it.. i found a lot of post about temp glitches with monitoring programs. or it's a voltage spike on my board possibly or a component not handling the voltage I'm applying with one of my settings. i did re-do my CPU with liquid metal and it dropped my temps down 7 degrees at idle and 11 to 13 under stress test. I haven't done the VRM heat sink' yet. I'm going to keep reading n get more knowledge on overclocking I'm close to hitting 5.3 mhz about 50 MHz off... i guess it up to the CPU n motherboard if it will let me, but the VRM temps bother me. when they hit 145 F while playing my game i get studdering n seems to stop when i let every thing cool down.
i'm open to any idea's or knowlage that could help! again thanks for the reply!

I guess I wasn't clear.

The motherboard uses thermocouples to measure the CPU temperature and motherboard temperature. Those are available in the BIOS. HWmonitor just reports those values.

A thermocouple is essentially an electronic temperature sensor (or thermometer).

There are problems with some monitoring applications. Those are usually a driver issue. HWMonitor is usually a good choice. But those issues are mostly because the temperatures are not what is reported in the BIOS. The best option is the motherboard monitoring utility.

numdi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014