HX 850 to power SLI 780 ti Classifieds?

Leamon

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hi,
I was going to ask a much longer question, but I'll just get to the point. I have a Corsair HX850 PSU I don't want to upgrade. Will it power dual EVGA 780 ti CLASSIFIEDs in SLI without any risk? What if I overclock? (It is the best 780 ti overclocker, some get to 1350 MHz+ on air)
BTW, I'm running a 4770k at 4.2 Ghz
Don't be afraid to ask any questions.
Thanks.

Solution
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 1200 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
•GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 1200 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

Solution

Leamon

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I did want to say, I researched a bit more and found this thing has extremely high power consumption-- higher than the 290X in uber-mode-- due to its high voltage. Now I'm a little concerned. It is around 326W! Does that change your recommendation?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you plan on running intense graphics games like BF4 or crysis3 on a 4k monitor at ultra settings, I can't for the life of me figure out why you would have any need to OC sli 780ti's beyond the already fantastic performance inherent in those cards.

Evga 1000w g2 is tier1 psu, same if not better quality than the HX850, and can be found for less than $150. Small price to pay for piece of mind considering the pricetag on a 780ti