Hybrid only 8gb ssd?

Nathan Dissington

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
So I'm currently building a pc and I've been told to change my 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s (7200RPM) for a Seagate 1TB (hybrid 8gb ssd).

So my question is why? it only has 8gig ssd? And doesn't say anything about the RPM? or am i missing something?:??:

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

RealBeast

Titan
IMO that would be a silly move. If you want an SSD, buy an SSD and use it for the OS and key programs and use the HDD for other programs and storage. Hybrid drives with very small SSD caches are really only at all useful when you can only fit one drive into the machine and cannot afford a big SSD.

popatim

Titan
For the cost, its not worth it IMO. Now if there was issue with your current drive and the SSHD wasn't priced stupidly... Its $30 more than the same drive without the 8gb nand flash. For $30 you should be able to get 48- 64gb these days.
And jsut an fyi, it is 7200rpm.

Memhorder

Distinguished
I've built a system with one of those hybrid drives and they are great. In fact it was so impressive I had to buy one for the GF's computer and they are comparable to SSD speeds. Almost boots as fast as mine. It's got 8 gigs to store files most commonly used or accessed and the platter spins at 7200 rpm. Very good for someone who's on a budget, needs capacity and wants speed. I would buy another in a heart beat.