[SOLVED] Hybrid water cooling systems

Oct 20, 2019
I'm getting close to rebuilding my computer. I'll be using an i7 9700k cpu. When I was browsing all things PC, I stumbled on hybrid liquid CPU coolers. Does anybody recommend one of these? I will be playing the new Modern Warfare but I don't exactly see myself needing one of these. I plan on installing the hyper 212 evo. Will that be good enough?

Solution
Ok, so I have the U14S on my overclocked 6700k, and it's not ugly at all. You have to invest some extra cash in it to MAKE it not ugly though.

And while it is MUCH better, magnitudes better, than the 212 EVO, I'm still not sure it's the right choice for an 8 core part. It does a good job on my four core eight thread 6700k, but not good enough that I'd be likely to use it when I upgrade. At least not if there is a plan to overclock at all. For stock configurations, it should do ok.

20190816_011831.jpg
Hyper 212 is NOT good enough for the 9700k.

What is your case model, because that is going to determine 100% of what can be used in terms of size and fitment. A good air cooler is fine, but it needs to be moderately more capable than any of the 212 coolers.

Oct 20, 2019
Hyper 212 is NOT good enough for the 9700k.

What is your case model, because that is going to determine 100% of what can be used in terms of size and fitment. A good air cooler is fine, but it needs to be moderately more capable than any of the 212 coolers.
I have this massive NZXT Phantom full tower case. Thanks for warning me
I went for the Noctua NH-U14S . It has excellent reviews and is cheaper than others. However, it's super ugly

Last edited:
Ok, so I have the U14S on my overclocked 6700k, and it's not ugly at all. You have to invest some extra cash in it to MAKE it not ugly though.

And while it is MUCH better, magnitudes better, than the 212 EVO, I'm still not sure it's the right choice for an 8 core part. It does a good job on my four core eight thread 6700k, but not good enough that I'd be likely to use it when I upgrade. At least not if there is a plan to overclock at all. For stock configurations, it should do ok.

20190816_011831.jpg

Solution
From the guides I was reading it seems the Noctua U14S works pretty well on the i7 9700k. Reviews say it cools the i9 9900k fine.

No possible way that cooler is "fine" for the 9900k. Maybe at idle or at non-boosted base clock speeds. No way that can handle the 9900k under all core boost conditions. I can't believe that, not when people with big air, AIO and open loop coolers have trouble keeping it in check. Plus, I have one, and while it does well with my four core i7 overclocked, I can't see any way it would still do so with double the number of cores much less with double the number of cores AND hyperthreads.

I like Deepcool's coolers. More in fact that I do Be Quiet's. After seeing the way they use creative "shuckster" specifications to make their products seem like have the lower SPL than Noctua, by limiting RPM and airflow but conveniently failing to mention that on their documentation, and especially considering Noctua is beginning to offer similarly colored products, I don't see a lot of reason for recommending their hardware. It's generally overpriced for what it is anyhow. At least in my opinion.