Hynix Announces World's Fastest, First 1 Gb GDDR5 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
This basically means we'll have cards with about 211.2 GB/s by 3rd quarter next year. They never run the chips at their max rated speed so they'll be at 6,600 effective and they won't be slapping 512 bit buses back onto cards until there's a need for more bandwidth, which there really isn't past 110 GBs (notice how ati's 4870 can trade blows with a 280 GTX when heavy filters {8xaa} are used despite having less bandwidth). So overall expect only slight memory performance increases over the next year. The focus will be on simplifying PCBs and reducing power consumption. I think the biggest thing we might see is standardization of 1 GB of memory for midrange cards.

G

Pretty nice, glad no 4870's will have this, as i'd feel completely and utterly depressed lol

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]LAN_deRf_HA[/nom]This basically means I somewhat agree,but unfortunately I think the real improvement needs to be in common memory.we'll have cards with about 211.2 GB/s by 3rd quarter next year. They never run the chips at their max rated speed so they'll be at 6,600 effective and they won't be slapping 512 bit buses back onto cards until there's a need for more bandwidth, which there really isn't past 110 GBs (notice how ati's 4870 can trade blows with a 280 GTX when heavy filters {8xaa} are used despite having less bandwidth). So overall expect only slight memory performance increases over the next year. The focus will be on simplifying PCBs and reducing power consumption. I think the biggest thing we might see is standardization of 1 GB of memory for midrange cards.[/citation]

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"from Hynix is also is designed"
Remove one of the words please!

Can't help but to wonder how much faster a 280 would be with 2gb of these modules - the 4870 is only really fast because of the memory ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS