Question Hyper 212 evo topping at 89 degrees

Jul 25, 2019
Here is what I am running.....

CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 46 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1604MHz (16-18-18-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX Z270H GAMING K1 (LGA1151) 33 °C
Graphics
G2460 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 32 °C
Storage
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 30 °C
238GB SanDisk SD7SB3Q256G1002 (SATA (SSD)) 38 °C

and the question is, when I run AIDA64 extreme stress test, it flattens out the cpu heat at 89 to 90 degrees.

I have a Hyper 212 evo, just bought today, I set the bios to 100% speed on fans since its so silent it wont bother me any either way
I have set the overclocking to auto on everything I could see

The memory is 2*8GB Corsaid Vengance 3200MHz DDR4 memories, yet I can't seen to get them to max, how do I do that?

Thats the 2 major questions I had.... idling the cpu is at 45-50, stress test at 89 to 90.

Is this good? or have I fubared something?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AIDA64 is pretty brutal and the Evo212 isn't a top rated cooler. Just a decent performance for the price (Though not so much these days, usually a few models cheaper that do just as well)

Hard to say though without CPU voltage and your target clock speed. Typically, auto OC features over estimate what is needed to make sure of it working. They tend to apply way too much voltage to get the job done, which can result in very high temperatures.

Only potential mistake I see is that your system is reporting single channel memory. Should be in dual channel. If you have your memory sticks next to each other, they shouldn't be. Typically the slot furthest from the CPU, skip one, and the second closest to the CPU should be occupied.

All that said, if it can pass AIDA64 without crashing, then there is nothing really wrong. But it likely means the CPU is throttling under the test.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Jul 25, 2019
AIDA64 is pretty brutal and the Evo212 isn't a top rated cooler. Just a decent performance for the price (Though not so much these days, usually a few models cheaper that do just as well)

Hard to say though without CPU voltage and your target clock speed. Typically, auto OC features over estimate what is needed to make sure of it working. They tend to apply way too much voltage to get the job done, which can result in very high temperatures.

Only potential mistake I see is that your system is reporting single channel memory. Should be in dual channel. If you have your memory sticks next to each other, they shouldn't be. Typically the slot furthest from the CPU, skip one, and the second closest to the CPU should be occupied.

All that said, if it can pass AIDA64 without crashing, then there is nothing really wrong. But it likely means the CPU is throttling under the test.

Hey hey thank you for your reply,
Memory: The reason I have that is because when I set it to the every other, I get a red led light no matter which one of the memory modules I set, I have it now on CPU:XX11 meaning first two slots are empy from the cpu onwards, I tried every configuration I could, but when I put in 1X1X or X1X1 then I get a red indicator that there is something wrong with the setup, it does not say what, but just shows a bright red light.

the way your saying is the X1X1 but it gives as I said a red led indication when booting up.

Jul 25, 2019

Regarding the cpu, yes, the stress test said it was overheating and throttling at around 18-20%, but as you said its not a Noctua dh-15 so should not expect the best results, no?

I will try and add a screenshot of the stress test

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar4YgJbRKoHfpeUJFLvFramMT4xg7w

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Jotunhammer,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

We need to know your ambient (room) temperature.

We also need to know your overclock frequency and Core voltage during AIDA64.

The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. For every degree your ambient increases, so does all the hardware in your computer. Whether at idle or 100% workload, Core temperatures are always relative to ambient temperature. Members write in to us who live near the Arctic Circle or the Equator, so their ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). Ambient can be a HUGE variable.

IF your ambient temperature is at or within a few degrees of normal, then your idle temperatures are very high. More often than not, when users report their idle temperatures, it turns out that their processor isn't really at idle, but is instead running a light load. Idle means minimal activity, which is only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. No programs running and off line. If your CPU won't idle down to 1 or 2%, then look in Task Manager for unnecessary processes and services running in the background which can be disabled or uninstalled.

Again, IF your ambient temperature is at or within a few degrees of normal, then your load temperatures are too high. However, this also depends on which AIDA64 test(s) you ran. AIDA64 has 15 possible test selections / combinations that yield 15 different Core temperatures. That's a lot of variables, so it's important to be very specific.

There are 2 types of stress tests; stability (fluctuating workload) and thermal (steady workload). There's a wide variety of stress tests that range from less than 70% workload to nearly 130% workload, which is why, along with ambient temperature, we need to know exactly what you ran in AIDA64.

Although "Throttle" temperature for the i7-6700K is 100°C (212°F), it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature, so here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Let us know your ambient temperature, overclock frequency, Core voltage during AIDA64 and which test(s) you ran.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: Jotunhammer
Jul 25, 2019
Jotunhammer,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

We need to know your ambient (room) temperature.

We also need to know your overclock frequency and Core voltage during AIDA64.

The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. For every degree your ambient increases, so does all the hardware in your computer. Whether at idle or 100% workload, Core temperatures are always relative to ambient temperature. Members write in to us who live near the Arctic Circle or the Equator, so their ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). Ambient can be a HUGE variable.

IF your ambient temperature is at or within a few degrees of normal, then your idle temperatures are very high. More often than not, when users report their idle temperatures, it turns out that their processor isn't really at idle, but is instead running a light load. Idle means minimal activity, which is only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. No programs running and off line. If your CPU won't idle down to 1 or 2%, then look in Task Manager for unnecessary processes and services running in the background which can be disabled or uninstalled.

Again, IF your ambient temperature is at or within a few degrees of normal, then your load temperatures are too high. However, this also depends on which AIDA64 test(s) you ran. AIDA64 has 15 possible test selections / combinations that yield 15 different Core temperatures. That's a lot of variables, so it's important to be very specific.

There are 2 types of stress tests; stability (fluctuating workload) and thermal (steady workload). There's a wide variety of stress tests that range from less than 70% workload to nearly 130% workload, which is why, along with ambient temperature, we need to know exactly what you ran in AIDA64.

Although "Throttle" temperature for the i7-6700K is 100°C (212°F), it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature, so here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Let us know your ambient temperature, overclock frequency, Core voltage during AIDA64 and which test(s) you ran.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Thank you kindly for the welcome :)

Currently I have around 33 degrees in my room, that does affect it a lot I know :)

what id AIDA do I set to show the "We also need to know your overclock frequency and Core voltage during AIDA64. " ?
There is several voltage OSD panels

Oh and the stress test I am running is stability test (System Stability Test - AIDA 64)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
One major problem is that your ambient temperature is abnormally high by 11°C.

In AIDA64 System Stability Test, there are several checkboxes that allow you to select any combination of the 4 tests that are CPU related:

CPU
FPU
Cache
RAM

What exactly did you run?

Jul 25, 2019
One major problem is that your ambient temperature is abnormally high by 11°C.

In AIDA64 System Stability Test, there are several checkboxes that allow you to select any combination of the 4 tests that are CPU related:

CPU
FPU
Cache
RAM

What exactly did you run?

Hello :)
I ran:
Stress CPU
Stress FPU
Stress cache
Stress system memory

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Reactions: Jotunhammer
Jul 25, 2019
As you ran the tests simultaneously, and considering your high ambient temperature you should be OK.

If you overclock using manual settings rather than rely on auto overclock settings, you can reduce Core voltage which will give you lower Core temperatures.

CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-...clocking-cpu-explicit-testing-guidelines.html

Thank you very much, thats very good to hear as this is my first time installing the hyper 212 evo, and I seem to have done it right. The rest, I leave auto on, I assume the bios knows what its doing, and since I updated bios to latest there seems to be no issues. if it creeps to 100 ill be in contact again, otherwise thank you all, I love reading all the solutions you guys provided, it helped me tons , simple very easy to follow instructions, thats why I joined, if I can ever be of help, I will :)

Jul 25, 2019
Sooo, hohoho (father winter hohoho)
I managed to get the computer to go past 100 degrees.
Had open Chrome on stream (LOL championships) and started World of Warcraft,
the moment I got into WOW, the tempeture skyrocketed to above 100 from around 55-60
and when it hits 100 degrees, computer automatically shuts down and restarts.
So, I thought I would be able to run both at same time, obviously I can't.
Hmm, do I remove the auto OC?