Question Hyper 212 installation -- help

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'm trying to install a used Hyper 212 EVO cooler on an Asus P8Z77 motherboard. Either this cooler is defective or I'm doing something wrong, but after poring over all the pictures I can find, I don't see the problem.

The cooler's retaining bracket consists of two metal arms joined into an X shape by a spring loaded pivot. To install, one holds the bracket over the top of the cooler's CPU plate and fits the pivot into a hole in the top of the plate. Then one screws the bracket's arms onto four standoffs that are attached to the motherboard near the corners of the CPU socket. As the bracket is pressed down into position the spring is supposed to compress to help hold the cooler in contact with the CPU.

At least, I think that's how it's supposed to work. In practice, when the bracket is pressed down as far as it will go, the bracket arms are all about 8mm above the tops of the standoffs, To make the screws engage the standoff threads I'd have to bend the end each bracket arm down about that far. I don't have enough strength to press down that hard on the bracket with one hand and tighten the screws with the other while somehow holding everything in position, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I'd bend (and ruin) the bracket.

Part of the reason for this is that the pivot's spring gets in the way of bringing the bracket into contact with the top of the CPU plate. The spring holds the bracket 1 or 2mm away from the plate, and all of the pressure that the bracket exerts on the plate bears on it through the spring. That can't be right.

And if the bracket could rest on the CPU plate, the screws still wouldn't reach the standoffs. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?

Last edited:
I'm trying to install a used Hyper 212 EVO cooler on an Asus P8Z77 motherboard. Either this cooler is defective or I'm doing something wrong, but after poring over all the pictures I can find, I don't see the problem.

The cooler's retaining bracket consists of two metal arms joined into an X shape by a spring loaded pivot. To install, one holds the bracket over the top of the cooler's CPU plate and fits the pivot into a hole in the top of the plate. Then one screws the bracket's arms onto four standoffs that are attached to the motherboard near the corners of the CPU socket. As the bracket is pressed down into position the spring is supposed to compress to help hold the cooler in contact with the CPU.

At least, I think that's how it's supposed to work. In practice, when the bracket is pressed down as far as it will go, the bracket arms are all about 8mm above the tops of the standoffs, To make the screws engage the standoff threads I'd have to bend the end each bracket arm down about that far. I don't have enough strength to press down that hard on the bracket with one hand and tighten the screws with the other while somehow holding everything in position, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I'd bend (and ruin) the bracket.

Part of the reason for this is that the pivot's spring gets in the way of bringing the bracket into contact with the top of the CPU plate. The spring holds the bracket 1 or 2mm away from the plate, and all of the pressure that the bracket exerts on the plate bears on it through the spring. That can't be right.

And if the bracket could rest on the CPU plate, the screws still wouldn't reach the standoffs. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?
Using right mounting kit parts ?

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Using right mounting kit parts ?
Since I purchased this kit used, I can only say that I'm using the parts I received. The mounting plate fits the motherboard perfectly, and the bracket aligns perfectly with the standoffs; only its vertical positioning is wrong. And these parts look exactly like the ones illustrated on Cooler Master's web site. The discrepancies I have already described.

The mounting plate fits the motherboard perfectly, and the bracket aligns perfectly with the standoffs; only its vertical positioning is wrong.
And these parts look exactly like the ones illustrated on Cooler Master's web site.
Can you show any photos of your problem?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Did you follow installation manual for socket type of your motherboard?
https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/WvfHzB8IAQ

Since I purchased this kit used, I can only say that I'm using the parts I received. The mounting plate fits the motherboard perfectly, and the bracket aligns perfectly with the standoffs; only its vertical positioning is wrong. And these parts look exactly like the ones illustrated on Cooler Master's web site. The discrepancies I have already described.
That could be the problem, probably not cominmg from same socket, Tension of cooler on CPU depends on X bracket, spacers and screw length and those are different on some Intel sockets and definitely from AMD.

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
The installation instructions are specifically for Intel CPUs, and they list my socket (LGA1155). The only difference among several types of Intel sockets appears to be the stop where the pins on the bracket arms are set. As I said, all of the parts listed in the instructions are there except four screws that were never mentioned in the installation procedure, and a "nut setter" that I didn't need. The standoffs come in only one length, and according to the instructions they should come in only one length.

I tried to take pictures for the original post, but didn't have any luck. I needed one hand to keep the cooler in position, at least one to position the bracket, and another to take the picture. I couldn't get my third hand to work<g>.

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
That's interesting... Cooler Master provides two completely different sets of instructions for the same product, with no way to find one given the other.

Two sets of instructions ought to be more useful than either one alone. Unfortunately the one you pointed to tries to explain how to install a cooler with pictures alone, and no words. It would incomprehensible if I hadn't already read the other set. It's not going to tell me anything that I don't already know.

It does show what appear to be two sets of standoffs, but there's no clue to which set is meant for what, or even to which set I've got.

I wrote to Cooler Master support at the same time I posted my original message here. No answer yet.

I've reached a dead end with this cooler. I'm ready to throw it out and buy a new one.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I want a moderately priced product that is very reliable and reasonably efficient, and is not made by Cooler Master. It just has to keep an i7-3770 cool enough to stay happy. I will not be overclocking or doing anything else unusual. And the installation process should be simple enough and clearly enough explained that I can do it, or if I have a problem, I can understand what it is.

That's interesting... Cooler Master provides two completely different sets of instructions for the same product, with no way to find one given the other.

Two sets of instructions ought to be more useful than either one alone. Unfortunately the one you pointed to tries to explain how to install a cooler with pictures alone, and no words. It would incomprehensible if I hadn't already read the other set. It's not going to tell me anything that I don't already know.

It does show what appear to be two sets of standoffs, but there's no clue to which set is meant for what, or even to which set I've got.

I wrote to Cooler Master support at the same time I posted my original message here. No answer yet.

I've reached a dead end with this cooler. I'm ready to throw it out and buy a new one.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I want a moderately priced product that is very reliable and reasonably efficient, and is not made by Cooler Master. It just has to keep an i7-3770 cool enough to stay happy. I will not be overclocking or doing anything else unusual. And the installation process should be simple enough and clearly enough explained that I can do it, or if I have a problem, I can understand what it is.