Hyper 212 Plus vs Phanteks PH-TC14PE performance difference

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
SO I upgraded my heatsink from a hyper 212 plus, for a PH-TC14PE.

The 212+ cost $25 the PH-TC14PE costs $80.

My CPU is a 4770k at 4.3ghz the 212+ on intel burn test hits 98°C on the PH-TC14PE the max temp drops to 94°C is this a normal performance increase between the two?

If so this is really really disappointing .

Solution
Anything can be defective! This is an old post, replying in case anyone has a similar question down the road. True, a heatsink a chunk or metal,but to properly work the base must be flat/smooth.
Three of the edges of my phantek curved in most of the the fourth edge curved out so only left and right edges touch the cpu. The gap was small but visible when I put on the window sill i.e a low, elongated, (scalene) triangle of light shined though the bottom. Amazon charged $12 less for the blue version I got, which was the last one they had ($77 vs $89 then).

I didnt want to pay $12 more for a non defective version, and I should have to lap a brand new heatsink to make it work as advertised. Im sure the phanteks are great and this one I...

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I've also got a PH-TC14PE. With my old 3930K at 4.3 GHz and 1.3V it ran about 80 to 82C on the hottest core in the Intel Burn Test.

Since then, I've upgraded to an E5-1650 V2 (4930K essentially) and have it clocked at 4.5GHz at +100 offset (BIOS shows about 1.43V) and I only see 68C on the hottest core in the Intel Burn Test.

94C doesn't sound right. Is it mounted right? I mean, is it making uniform contact all the way around? A gap could cause those high temps.

Are the fans spinning?

What happens if you set the fans to run at 100% in the BIOS?

Are you using a small, 1/2 pea sized amount of thermal grease?

When you take off the cooler, do you wipe down the CPU and the heatsink to get rid of the old thermal grease (paper towel + isopropyl alcohol?

Are you running your VCORE setting at auto? Have you tried setting it to fixed, and tested at 1.25, 1.3, and 1.35 volts to see where it is stable with the lowest amount of heat?

neieus

Distinguished
I would expect better temps also... I went from the hyper 212 to the same cooler and noticed a difference immediately. This cooler should cool as good and in some cases better than water for temps and noise.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
when the heat is on my office goes up to 33°C thats a solid 9°C above room temp.
The 212 with AIDA64 office at normal room temp. manual got 64°C IBT 88°C

I have a good chip thats in dire need of delidding, I was hoping the phantek would let me push that off another year

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I5 3570k on a h55 (basically same performance as a hyper212) sitting at 4.3GHz 1.14v pulls 70°C with p95 26.6. My 3770k on a kraken x61 at 4.6GHz 1.18v pulls 54°C. That's close enough in cooler capability at lower OC that's there's got to be something wrong with the PH-TC14PE. Either you are not mounting it correctly, the paste is done wrong, got a fan mounted backwards, something. The hyper212 is a 180w cooler, the PH-TC14PE is 280w.(i believe) and thats a rather large discrepancy to be showing such a small gain under load.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
my theory is my chip is suffering from the poor contact with the internal heatsink issue Haswell's had pre 4690/4790, I have 1 core top out at 75, one at 81, one at 86 one at 87.

Neither heatsink feels particularly warm to the touch when running IBT

I didnt feel super comfotable paying so much for a heatsink anyway, back to amazon it goes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Paste at that level is all roughly the same, roughly within a few °C of each other. The biggest difference being in viscosity and ease of application. I personally prefer the Noctua and gelid3 extreme pastes, very easy to use and spreads well.

As far as temps go, what are you using for software? Sometimes motherboards get some funky addresses, so can confuse the reporting software. On my msi board, I have 2 funky temps, 1 at 225° and another at -125° both of which are realistically impossible. For an intel cpu I'd be using realtemp and speccy as both are written specifically for Intel cpu's. Just don't run both at the same time, use 1 to verify the other.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
HWMonitor, Sppedfan, Asus AI Suite.

@4.4 ghz last night 1.200v the pc hit 102C and immediately blue screened ...same result with both heatsinks both using MX4.

the idle temp with the phantek is 6C hotter too. Maybe its a dud.

Im returning the phantek either, I spent 5 hours yesterday switching back and forth between the two, something so much more expensive should be this complicated to work correctly. Ill get a something else not as expensive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have Asus suite on my 3570k. I'll tell you right off its unreliable when it comes to 12v and cpu temp. My 3570k, according to Asus suite, never gets above 40° even during torture testing when I know damn well it's well above 60°. Asus Fan, however, is without a doubt the single best motherboard fan control software, much easier to understand than SpeedFan, and easier to tailor to decent curves.

Hwmonitor is a great program, but it was written sometime back, and due to coder limitations, may or may not work correctly on any given motherboard. It's not the authors fault motherboard OEM can't maintain some sort of continuity when it comes to board design and addressing, so sometimes what you are looking at is cpu temp, what's being read is pcie temp which used to be the Southbridge chipset. It's software, take it with a grain of salt and verify temps with realtemp, core temp or speccy.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
Its shutting down as it hits 102ishC as its meant to, I dont think any heat sink better than that 212 will make any noticeable difference because of the internal heatsink glue issue these chips have.

There are plenty of threads here and else of people with water loops getting into the 90's with similar over-clocks. This CPU was on a Z87-A board before, the temps were identical with the 212+ .

Im at 4.3ghz 1.185v, battlefield 4 my cpu stays bellow 60°,

My choices are to delid and try the phantek again. Or be happy with what I have.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's not out of Warranty, you could RMA the cpu itself. Temp variances of 5°+or - are normal ranges per core, but considering the chosen coolers, those temps are unacceptable. At 4.3 the hyper212 should be around 70, even under IBT, and at 4.5, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE shouldn't even get that high.

Blackink

Distinguished
Sounds like your using the AI Suite to overclock? If so, stop and use the BIOS for overclocking.
Never use software to overclock your PC, and NEVER use AI Suite to overclock.

I will agree that the Fan Xpert works great as far as controlling your fans and you should be able to install that without installing the AI Suite software.

I agree with everyone else here when they state that something is wrong, wrong, wrong!! Stop using the AI Suite for starters.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
I confirmed my tmeps with speccy. spot on with speed fan and same as HWmonitors highest core (since HWmonitor gives a reading for each core). AI Suite is pff by a few degrees

At stock 3.5ghz my temps with IBT are low 70's on the 212 and at 4.0 I get low 80's.

Intel doesn't guarantee any kind of overclock temp. so thats so RMA is not an option.

and I only OC through bios. not AI suite. onyl thing I use AI suite for is to check the vcore,uncore, etc since I dont know any other software that does that and is free

I have a crap 4770k (or a really good one since i get 4.3g at <1.19v so a crap internal heatsink)

Though looking at forums on 4770k and aida 64 temps, lots of peopel are getting in the mid 70's - 80's thats a 10-20C less than what I get.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
UPDATE: I returned the phantelk and bought a cryorig H5 Ultimate, this is supposed to be nowhere as good as the phantek, BUT kept my pc 9°C cooler and its its 2/3 the size of the phantek so easier to install and I can leave it on wheni need to swap out ram, plug unplug sata and psu cables. so long story short, the phantek was defective.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Impossible for a heatsink to be defective. It's a solid chunk of aluminium. If it's mounted correctly, that Phanteks heatsink is large enough to act passively at stock speeds and still keep the cpu under @70°C. With fans working correctly oriented, your cpu should idle in the mid 30's and max in the mid 60's. (depending on ambient temps) . The only thing I can further think of other than incorrect mounting, is you are using prime95 version newer than 26.6, which will use avx and a few other instructions, well over normal usage and drive temps to unrealistic hights.