[SOLVED] Hyper Threading questions

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
story time.. a few weeks ago, the i7-2600k I ordered has arrived. Has been performing well. Running games on my budget gaming pc (on sig) at 1080p smoothly.

well, but noticed that Hyper Threading is turned off. Can't turn it on because someone said that HT causes extra heat. So I ordered a new cpu cooler to replace stock cooler. The new cooler would be arriving in about a week.. at that point, I would have the choice to turn on HT.

questions to those who had experience using HT.

1. Does HT cause a significant boost in performance?
  2. Is it safe? I saw in some places, people say HT can cause a security risk.
  3. Did it cause your pc to have bizarre behaviors? Not sure what these "bizarre behaviors" are, but I saw someone mention them while I was googling about HT.

right now, still unsure whether to turn HT on or not. I would of course, install the new cooler when it arrives.. so there would be an option to turn on HT if it will someday be needed.

Solution
A better cooler is only important if you go for an extreme overclock, htt does add heat but usually if you have a cooler that supports the cpu you will be ok with htt on.

1. it can add performance in extremely multithreaded games if you also have an extremely powerful GPU because otherwise the fps will be limited by the gpu.
2.That's only a concern for the enterprise server business, for home PCs the danger is only theoretical.
3.It can cause some games to run a bit slower, again only if you have a gpu powerful enough to show any difference. Other than that there is nothing different.
A better cooler is only important if you go for an extreme overclock, htt does add heat but usually if you have a cooler that supports the cpu you will be ok with htt on.

1. it can add performance in extremely multithreaded games if you also have an extremely powerful GPU because otherwise the fps will be limited by the gpu.
2.That's only a concern for the enterprise server business, for home PCs the danger is only theoretical.
3.It can cause some games to run a bit slower, again only if you have a gpu powerful enough to show any difference. Other than that there is nothing different.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution

popatim

Titan
1: Performance boost varies depending on the exact app. Typical is 10%
2: Safe, from a heat damaging your system Yes.
- Safe from a technological standpoint - it isn't any less risky then running the rest of your 10 yr old hardware and probably OS also.
3: No. Keep in mind that it does slow down a couple applications though.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
story time.. a few weeks ago, the i7-2600k I ordered has arrived. Has been performing well. Running games on my budget gaming pc (on sig) at 1080p smoothly.

well, but noticed that Hyper Threading is turned off. Can't turn it on because someone said that HT causes extra heat. So I ordered a new cpu cooler to replace stock cooler. The new cooler would be arriving in about a week.. at that point, I would have the choice to turn on HT.

questions to those who had experience using HT.

1. Does HT cause a significant boost in performance?
  2. Is it safe? I saw in some places, people say HT can cause a security risk.
  3. Did it cause your pc to have bizarre behaviors? Not sure what these "bizarre behaviors" are, but I saw someone mention them while I was googling about HT.
right now, still unsure whether to turn HT on or not. I would of course, install the new cooler when it arrives.. so there would be an option to turn on HT if it will someday be needed.
1 about a 20% boost for things that can use it.
2 yes safe
3 no problems

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
ok, a little update. Today, when I asked our technician to install the new Seasonic 80 plus gold PSU. For some reason he also enabled hyper threading in the BIOS. lol

well. I'm surprised. Temps did not really rise up that much even when I played DOA 6. The cooler I ordered has not arrive yet, these temps are with the stock cooler.

qgadvh.jpg

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
another update... had to turn off hyper threading after only some days of use.

it's because XVID4PSP, a program I've been using for years to encode mp4 videos suddenly became unable to convert mp4's. The program is cpu intensive.. and for some reason was being affected by hyper threading. Sure enough, the program started functioning normally again when HT was turned off.

lost internet for weeks, which is why I was only able to post this now.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS