HyperX Clouds faulty, should i get the Revolvers?

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
So yesterday my HyperX Clouds right ear peaced out, and is currently only working by having the wire taped to my ear cup on and angle which is annoying. The HyperX Revolvers are on sale for £79.99 nearby so would it be worth upgrading to them or RMA'ing my Clouds? I'm just curious as some reviews say the revolvers have nice audio quality for games and music however some say they are awful, and I currently love my Cloud original due to the crisp audio. Also the i've heard the steel band causes some issues with vibrations, and since i turn my head quite a lot since my dog runs everywhere and I have quite a deep voice these could cause some annoying issues.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well most audio enthusiasts will scoff at any "gaming" branded headphones those are likely the people who say they're awful, you can get a pair of studio headphones with much better audio quality for around the same price. The only gaming headphones I like are the sennheiser game zero's because they are just re branded sennhesier HD558s with a mic. I would look at maybe some audio technica M40x's in that price range, or akg k 240s if you need to buy a mic as well.

Audio technica: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/?tag=rxplanet-chkpri-20

AKG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/?tag=rxplanet-chkpri-20

Mod mic: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98O6R4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485611289&sr=8-2&keywords=modmic

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I only have about £100 so I cant afford too much, however those headphones look absolutely amazing. Which headphone is better and is there a cheaper alternative to a ModMic? If so, I might do it. I would never really bother since a 'gaming' headset would be fine for me but recently I've found myself listening to alot of music (Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, etc.)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well the AKG's would likely be better in gaming since they are semi open which provides more sound stage usually. That means you will more easily be able to tell the direction distance of foot steps, gun shots, and other noises when playing multiplayer fps games with decent sound. However the AT M40x's would likely sound better for music to most peoples ear, they have a lot more bass as well as clearer mids and highs. The V moda boom pro is cheaper however it wont be compatible with all headphones as it needs a 3.5mm port on the headphones themselves to work, the mod mic connects to your pc's mic port, i'm trying to figure out if it will work with the headphones I recommended.

Also there is always the table top mic option, if you can deal with not having your mic on your headset.

Jack Barber

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I've done some research and apparrently alot of people use the same headset as me (HyperX Cloud) with an amp like ASUS Xonar DGX. Since I like the my clouds alot and would rather just get another pair, a new pair with the ASUS Xonar DGX costs me just under the revolver price. Is that worth it since I also get emulated 5.1 surround which is nice or should I just get some revolvers which has 'better soundstage'. Studio headphones seem nice but Im honestly just happy with my Clouds atm.