[SOLVED] I’m not sure what the best CPU is for an AM2/AM2+ motherboard

Mar 10, 2018
Hi I’m wanting to upgrade my CPU to run GTA V and I want to know what is the best CPU for an AM2/AM2+ socket

My motherboard is a ASUS Crosshair nVidia nForce 590 SLI (C51XE) + MCP55P(XE)

Solution
According to ausu, the best cpu for that MB will be Phenom X4 9950, Phenom X4 9850, Phenom X4 9750, Phenom X4 9650, etc. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR/HelpDesk_CPU/

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are some Phenom X4 you could put in there, though there were higher clock speed dual core Athlon X2. Not really sure if they would be enough for GTA5.

How much are you willing to spend? A new Ryzen 2200G, B450 motherboard (AM4), and some new DDR4 memory would put you literally years ahead of anything that would go into an AM2 board.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I had to use google to get to the support page. ASUS has completely lost it on their main website. They only list new products under support and if you click further it takes you to an online helpdesk instead. No way to navigate to the motherboard support page.

WildCard999

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lodgersgood : "I’m wanting to use at least an i5 processor but not sure what motherboard to get"

Won't work, no i5 would work on a AM2 socket motherboard.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lodgersgood : "I don’t know what CPU’s are compatible with my motherboard"