Question I’ve got an ASUS F1704z and got a crucial P3 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

Feb 2, 2024
I’ve got an ASUS F1704z and got a crucial P3 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD but I can’t find an extra slot. So how would you go about installing it?
I wasn’t sure what to do so I removed the one in it and put in the other one and started it. I got a page that I could test everything so I did but after that there was no where else to go.
You could save and exit but when you do it just restarts and goes back to that page.
I put the other back in until I can figure out how to do it.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
"that page" is probably the BIOS. it will continue restarting to the BIOS because it doesn't have an OS to boot. Your previous OS (presumably windows) was in the SSD you removed. When installing the new one, there's no OS in the new SSD so it goes to the BIOS.

You should reinstall windows on it (through an installation media) if you want to use it. You cant use it as a separate storage drive without an OS (unless you have another drive thats connected by other means which has an OS).

Your laptop does have another slot as mentioned by its product page, which I couldnt find where it is located, sadly.

Reactions: Dan3006
Feb 2, 2024
Thank you very much.
I got the Laptop in December but it did not come with any kind of windows disk of any kind. Leaves me kind of lost and confused.
I backed up files on a USB like the crucial site said to do but that doesn’t really help anything with the installation I don’t think

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Thank you very much.
I got the Laptop in December but it did not come with any kind of windows disk of any kind. Leaves me kind of lost and confused.
I backed up files on a USB like the crucial site said to do but that doesn’t really help anything with the installation I don’t think
You can make a installation media by yourself. You'll need a USB stick.

You should put your previous SSD into the laptop to be able to go to windows and do this.
Follow this guide to create the installation media.
After creating it, you can turn the laptop off, remove the old SSD, plug your new SSD in and install windows onto that by booting from the Installation media you created.
See how to install windows from installation media if you're having troubles.

Good Luck!

Feb 2, 2024
I made the usb installation media and started it but the darn thing showed two partitions, both said disk 0 and I could not install on a partition with zero.
now i'm getting a bit scared :)
I'm never quite sure which partition I'm supposed to be installing on but I'm guessing the one that says system?
I have found a couple of things online. Both say to bring up a command prompt, shift+F10, and diskpart, (which mine shows
Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 238 GB 0 B *
) then select disk 0, then type clean. One also adds convert gpt

Does this sound right? Or am I way off?

USAFRet

Titan
If you're trying to install a new OS on this drive, here:

When it asks where...that is when you Delete all existing partitions, and continue with a blank drive.
See section II.

Feb 2, 2024
If you're trying to install a new OS on this drive, here:

When it asks where...that is when you Delete all existing partitions, and continue with a blank drive.
See section II.
I'll check it out.
Thank you