[SOLVED] i 5 to i7

Nov 27, 2018
Bought this dell latitude 6420

with i5, 8gb ram, 320gb hdd.

costed 188GBP. Is this a good price?

How much will cost to upgrade to i7? what will i gain by this?

Solution

Hard to see much of a benefit. First, you may have the BGA version rather than the PGA version, in which case there's no upgrade that's feasible. If you do have one that can be swapped out, it'll be guesswork if an i7 will even work, given you'll have an old, poorly documented OEM motherboard in a laptop. And the price will be guesswork as well, since you'll essentially be relying on ebay sellers that have salvaged the parts since there was never a retail arm for these processors.

Even getting through all this, the i7s that have the best chance to work in this socket...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Hard to see much of a benefit. First, you may have the BGA version rather than the PGA version, in which case there's no upgrade that's feasible. If you do have one that can be swapped out, it'll be guesswork if an i7 will even work, given you'll have an old, poorly documented OEM motherboard in a laptop. And the price will be guesswork as well, since you'll essentially be relying on ebay sellers that have salvaged the parts since there was never a retail arm for these processors.

Even getting through all this, the i7s that have the best chance to work in this socket are the ones that are also 35W like your i5-2520m, which means they will also be 2 core/4 thread CPUs, not 4 core/8 thread CPUs like the 45W Sandy Bridge mobile I7s. In which case, it'll be a "who cares" type of improvement.

Solution
It depends on how you get it and all that. I looked on ebay and an i7 for your laptop costs about as much as you paid for the laptop if you get it from the UK sellers. It's About $50 from US though. You would gain 2 more cores. The price is ok. I personally wouldn't pay that but I am from the US where computers are a bit cheaper. I don't know if you'll benefit from an i7 because I don't know what you want to use the computer for. But if you just use it for web browsing mainly you wouldn't really notice a big difference.

ACTUALLY I just looked and the i7 that's compatible is 2 cores/ 4 threads. So there's no point in upgrading. It's going to be the same experience pretty much on the i7 as the i5.