I accidentally drop my iOmega Ego 500gb External HDD

leejay_1145

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
please help me..
i accidentally dropped my iOmega Ego 500gb External HDD when i didnt noticed that my back pack bag was not zipped then i tried to access it, the drive showed up (only the drive letter and not the horizontal blue bar)but i cannot access onto it.. so i tried the chkdsk /f then the problem solved..unluckily at l8 evening when i pulled up my dirty clothes in my bag, i forgot that my hdd was also inside so my hdd was tossed and drop again.. to solve the problem i did the chkdsk /f again..then it works but that time verifying of files tooks a long time before it finish,

now the problem is, its to SLOW to read files the led light that supposed to blink faster when im copy pasting something was blinking so slowly, and when i try to open folders it takes some seconds before it completely open specially when im trying to open those folders having a large files inside like the folder of my movies..

i tried the chkdsk /r /f /v but it stuck in the middle of the process..
(im not sure, i got tired of waiting it stuck at stage4 almost 3 hours of waiting so i cancelled the process)

now im trying the defragmentation it seems it will stuck up in analyze process..

Pleasee help me to solve my problem..
sorry for my english

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Before you do anything that anyone recommends (Excluding rgd, I completely concur) make a fucking ddrescue image, and for the love of god, STOP DEFRAGGING. You're basically taking all the sectors that are still magnetized and writing other random bits to them & resulting in you probably losing your data if your drive really is failing. God.

Anyway, like I said, boot up into a linux live disk and type:-
Code:
ddrescue --block-size=2048 --max-retries=20 /dev/sd* /dev/sd&1/output.img /devsd&1/output.log

Replace the asterisk (*) with the letter of the failing drive and the and symbol (&) in both cases to another working drive that's larger than the failing disk.

You may want to run that command, then wait an hour and run it again, just to make sure it's got everything, it won't overwrite the last data by merge to two results into one result with hopefully more data.

It might sound like I'm flaming you, but, it really hurts me inside to hear that someone is defragging a failing drive, I assure you it's nothing personal, just your acts that have caused me to use this language.

EDIT:- Just a note about the DDRescue command, make you sure you get the letters correct or else it'll Destroy Data, although, probably won't matter considering you're defragging it anyway.

leejay_1145

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
i understand.. i wll do wat you instructed to me..im a newbie.. as for now. i manually transfer those important files to my new drive..

so after those procedures.. my iomegaHdd will just completely become a junk? theres no way to fix it??

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Well, first of all, stop dropping your stuff, and, if you must drop your stuff, buy hard drives that are rated high on shock absorption. They cost ~ 3 times the price but least it'll save you data. Second of all, I'd probably capture a smart report, then run a 3 pass go with badblocks (Which will probably take ~ 48 hours to complete) and see if that reports any badblocks (Unlikely, unless you really fucked shit up, badblocks only reports data once the whole hard drive completely fails to reallocate any data & the rest). Also remember to compare the first smart report with the second smart report. Once you've done that, come back with the reports, however:-

Hard drives are probably one of the most fragile items in computing, they're one of the few items that have moving parts & require insane amounts of accuracy to work, go buy a computer case/tower if you want to drop it.

leejay_1145

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
lol. the more i tried to care it..idont know how but the more it nears to trouble.. last month while im backuping data on that drive my litle brother accidentaly pull the cable causing the drives cant access.. it was mine 4 years ago.. the service of that drive to me is definitely worth it.. but still that was my first ex hdd so i want it to fix.

can you please tell to me the step by step process??..like i said a while i'm a newbie..im in 2nd year i.t

tnx.