I accidently deleted my hard drive. Help!

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Okay, So i Have 2 hard drives. A samsung 850 evo 250 gb SSD, And a WD black 2tb HDD. when installing windows, I accidentally deleted drive 2 (WD Black 2tb).
I installed windows 10 on the SSD and then tried to find the WD drive. The computer could not find the WD drive in device manager or BIOS or anywhere. Is there any way i can get the computer to pick up the drive agian so i can use my HDD? Please help me!

(I'm sorry, I'm a first time builder and this is an incredibly stupid mistake.)

Solution
Found out my problem. In windows search, I went into manage storage spaces and my WDC drive was set up in a storage pool. I removed it and now my drive shows in disk management. Thanks for the help everybody!

dbratton54

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
The drive will not show in device manager, but should show up in Disk Management. I am not a win10 user, but I think you an right-click This PC and then select Manage, then Storage, then Disk Management. You will probably see a drive with no Letter assigned to it. You should be able to format it and make it usable there.

I am sure there are lots of ways to get to Disk Management in Win10, that is just the one I found first.Like I said, I am not a Win10 user.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I went in to disk managment. There is only Disk 1 (My Samsung ssd) And my Optical drive that appears as CD ROM 0. No other disk's. :( Any other soulutions?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
This sounds odd. Have you tried unplugging it and re-plugging it in while it is off? It should at least be detected. "Deleting" a HDD will only remove the data on it but it shouldn't remove any drivers for the actual drive.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I tried multiple times. Maybe i'm missing somethign. What would it look like in the disk managment?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

It should be on the bottom half of the screen and have the name Disk 2 (maybe, depends on how it is installed). It should have a grey bar next to it indicating it has un-allocated space.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Nope it's not there. I'll move thigns around and see if it starts working. In the meantime. What else could be wrong?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

There's not much else that could be wrong. Maybe a faulty cable or connection but it's unlikely. You can't brick a HDD doing this, I've done it before and it was fine afterwards. Try switching the SSD and HDD around to see if the BIOS detects it.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Darn... It's just not working! This is frustrating. The drive got picked up in bios. But still wont show up in Disk management. Any help?

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I did. And after i did that my BIOS picked the Drive up. The drive will show up in device manager. But it wont show up in disk management. Is there any way i can get it to appear?

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

2 disks. One is Disk ### with no specs at all. and the other is disk 0. witch is my SSD.

If you have bootable flash drive with windows10 installation setup plug it in. Then proceed with installation to the step where it asks you to choose the drive you want to install windows on. If you are lucky then the HDD will show-up. If it is in the list format it and exit the setup.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

The windows option did not work. Neither did swithing ALL the sata ports multiple times. Nothign is working :(

Berkin

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
The same thing happened to me with my SSD a year or so after I built my old PC. Have no idea what I did to fix it but playing around in BIOS and unplug-plug type of things did it for me in the end. Oh yeah, it was after a new OS install aswell. Don't worry about your hardware, it should be all fine.

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I did that and it did not work. I also decided to completely reinstall windows but that did not work either.

Whats odd is that device manager and BIOS picks up the WDC WD drive just fine. But Disk management Cant find it. I checked the volume of the drive in Device manager and it is all blank, Nothign is filled in. Is this good or bad?

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I took the drive to my friends house and put the HDD in his computer. It worked fine and the HDD got picked up. This is obviously something wrong with my system. Maybe disk management is messed up?

Dragonlord3338

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Found out my problem. In windows search, I went into manage storage spaces and my WDC drive was set up in a storage pool. I removed it and now my drive shows in disk management. Thanks for the help everybody!

Solution
Dec 14, 2018

I wish this helped me. I'm going to gear up for some bios managment