Question I am baffled by this

Gondawn

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Hi all,

I was building a PC for my mom, using some of the old parts from my previous PCs. The only things that were new are motherboard and ssd.
RAM sticks I had were: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz
When I finished building the PC it wouldn't boot, with DRAM light being red, so I tried reinstalling RAM in the wrong slots (A1 B1) and to my surprise it worked. I did get the pop up saying your memory is in the wrong slots, please move it. PC seems to be working fine though, but I still decided to update BIOS and move RAM to correct slots. Same issue again - red DRAM light, but when move to wrong slots it works.

Does anybody ever come across something like that? I am confused

Ralston18

Titan
What app or tool presented that "wrong slots" pop-up?

Keep in mind that the documention could be wrong as well.

Verify how the slots are actually numbered on the motherboard.

Make and model motherboard?

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM and RAM configurations.

And some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot. Likely DIMMA2.

That said if A1,B1 worked then that should be fine.

Hi all,

I was building a PC for my mom, using some of the old parts from my previous PCs. The only things that were new are motherboard and ssd.
RAM sticks I had were: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz
When I finished building the PC it wouldn't boot, with DRAM light being red, so I tried reinstalling RAM in the wrong slots (A1 B1) and to my surprise it worked. I did get the pop up saying your memory is in the wrong slots, please move it. PC seems to be working fine though, but I still decided to update BIOS and move RAM to correct slots. Same issue again - red DRAM light, but when move to wrong slots it works.

Does anybody ever come across something like that? I am confused
Test each ram stick alone in slot a2.

TRENDING THREADS