[SOLVED] I am getting a huge drop frames in gta v

Oct 13, 2021
so I have an prebuilt pc (hp desktop pro g2) whice have an i3 8100 (4 cores 4 threads) 3.6 ghz speed and intel uhd 630 and 8gb ram (2x4 that mean I have dual channel)
when I play gta v story mode or online in 720p I get around 30-40 fps with no drop frames or statures and after 10 or 15 min's of play I get huge drop frames to 5-3 fps without any reason
when i check in msi afterburner while playing everythning is noraml
40-60 % cpu usage and 7 gb use and normal heat
I tried everything I could to lower the graphics
800x600 with no shadows and 50% render scale whice make it wrost but nothing same problem
i hope someone can help me in my problem

Solution
i run the game again with msi after burner to check every core
and every single core speed and utilization is normal
i notice something that the ram before a few min of drop frames be close to be full usage
but after it go down to normal and after that i start getting drop frames
do you think is ram issue ?
because there some people run it in 8gb ram without problems
When you notice your RAM dropping after a high usage, that means GTA V has started using pagefile which is located on your hard drive as a replacement for RAM. Essentially, GTA V is using memory from your HDD which is much slower and causes HDD to go to 100 % usage. This is why you get stutters. I have the same issue .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like ram or storage - maybe both.

The game was known by some to use up to 8GBs or more at times.
Ideally, you don't want to use all the total ram available - perhaps 6/6.5GBs max, or else it slows the system down - the OS has to use some ram too.

Storage: when it's ram cache fills up - if it even has one. More prominent issue on 5400rpm HDDs, and low capacity + dramless SSDs.
Simply restarting the PC temporarily fixes it - because the cache was cleared when doing so - but then it fills out again in another 10-15mins, forcing another restart.

Reactions: TLGamer
Oct 13, 2021
Sounds like ram or storage - maybe both.

The game was known by some to use up to 8GBs or more at times.
Ideally, you don't want to use all the total ram available - perhaps 6/6.5GBs max, or else it slows the system down - the OS has to use some ram too.

Storage: when it's ram cache fills up - if it even has one. More prominent issue on 5400rpm HDDs, and low capacity + dramless SSDs.
Simply restarting the PC temporarily fixes it - because the cache was cleared when doing so - but then it fills out again in another 10-15mins, forcing another restart.
thanks for respond to my post
so I am sure that the hdd is not causing the problem because its's a 7200rpm and my friend have a slower hdd and it work fine to him
and about the ram i have seen someone using 8gb ram and integrated graphics card (intel uhd 620) and he don't get drop frames or statures (at least not like mine that cause unplayable experience)
over all thank you again for responding

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
With what you've described, it sounded like hardware was the issue, due to the consistent 'slowdown after 10-15mins'.
Power and thermal issues tend to pop up a bit quicker than that.

When monitoring cpu usage, you should monitor each core - whole usage is misleading.
The vast majority of games are bound by a single core/thread, even ones that can utilize multiple threads. That single resource is responsible for handling every single command run from the game code.
If that one's maxed out, that's all the cpu can do.

Oct 13, 2021
With what you've described, it sounded like hardware was the issue, due to the consistent 'slowdown after 10-15mins'.
Power and thermal issues tend to pop up a bit quicker than that.

When monitoring cpu usage, you should monitor each core - whole usage is misleading.
The vast majority of games are bound by a single core/thread, even ones that can utilize multiple threads. That single resource is responsible for handling every single command run from the game code.
If that one's maxed out, that's all the cpu can do.
i notice something that the ram before a few min of drop frames be close to be full usage

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So no cores were 85% or higher?

You'll need to ask those folks what their settings are.
I do not know what's causing the ram usage to drop after it gets high. What I do know is that ram usage goes up in game over time - not infinitely though - and some areas in the game eat up more ram than others.

Dec 28, 2020
When you notice your RAM dropping after a high usage, that means GTA V has started using pagefile which is located on your hard drive as a replacement for RAM. Essentially, GTA V is using memory from your HDD which is much slower and causes HDD to go to 100 % usage. This is why you get stutters. I have the same issue .

Solution

TRENDING THREADS