[SOLVED] I am getting random games/programs crashing a couple minutes after starting my stream on streamlabs ?

Sep 5, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I am having a simple problem that I have thrown everything I could at and I just cannot find a fix. Every time I begin to stream using Streamlabs OBS I get random programs/games crashing and sometimes PC restarts after a couple of minutes. I check my even logs and I get "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition..." with the listed programs that were running.

Things I have tried:
  • Changing the RAM - same crash happened
  • Memtest on RAM - no problems found
  • Clean windows install - problem reocurred
  • Fresh re-install of Streamlabs - crashed again
  • Disabled all types of overlays ie. discord, geforce, gamebar - same crash
  • Used OBS instead of streamlabs - Crash has yet to occur but I am unsure if further use would result in another crash.

Here is my build...
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: GTX 1080
Mobo: ASUS X570-E
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB

It seems like windows is saying it is a virtual memory problem but I had a very similar (but definitely not as powerful) setup before this one and I never ran into this problem. Also I feel like I have troubleshooted most of the memory reasons this could be happening and I haven't gotten any further to solving this problem. My other random thought is that maybe this is a VRAM problem, but I would have no idea how to diagnose that.

Please if anyone has had a similar problem or if you have any ideas as to what could be causing this let me know as I have completely run out of ideas and I am unsure if this problem is too niche/rare that a computer repair place may be unable to help as well.

Thank you for any help!!!!

Edit - Other things I have tried but forgot to mention:
Fresh install of video drivers
Updated windows to the newest version
Let Streamlabs, OBSx64, and other needed programs for streaming through the windows firewall
Cleared Streamlabs cashes
If I remember any more I will make sure to add them!

Last edited:
Solution
This:

"Windows is giving the same low virtual memory condition error "

Exactly what error is being given: wording, error code number, etc.?

Is Windows managing virtual memory. How is virtual memory currently configured?

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Ralston18

Titan
Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (but use only one at a time) to observe system performance while streaming via Streamlabs.

Determine what system resources are being used, what is using those resources, and to what extent (%).

You can also look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and informational events that correspond with the streaming and crashes.

Sep 5, 2021
Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (but use only one at a time) to observe system performance while streaming via Streamlabs.

Determine what system resources are being used, what is using those resources, and to what extent (%).

You can also look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and informational events that correspond with the streaming and crashes.

I have a Samsung 1TB 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD that currently has 627 GB free space out of 930 GB available.

I would pull Task Manager up whenever I would run Streamlabs to see if anything out of the ordinary was happening, but everything looks fine. CPU usage is low, RAM doesn't even get close to running out (usually around 40%). The only thing that comes to mind is that during the crashes I can see that the GPU usage spikes to 100%, but I think that is a result of the crash and not the cause of it.

I'll look into the Reliability History reports, but if I remember correctly they looked very similar to Event Viewer I was using to troubleshoot.

I'll go ahead and try to reproduce the crash while trying both of these tips you mentioned, thank you for your help.

Ralston18

Titan
Overall, I consider Reliability History to be much more user friendly than Event Viewer.

And Reliability History's timeline format can be very revealing.

Clicking individual entries can provide more details about any given error.

Unfortunately, the error codes themselves may or may not be helpful.... Too vague, too broad, and sometimes just plain wrong.

Sep 5, 2021
I just tried streaming with OBS again and got the same type of crashing I was getting with Streamlabs OBS. Windows is giving the same low virtual memory condition error. I don’t see how that is possible given I don’t even reach half of my total RAM, and I don’t get the same error when running a lot of programs except for Streamlabs/OBS. It’s also worth noting the crash only happens after going live. I’m still lost on what the cause could be.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Windows is giving the same low virtual memory condition error "

Exactly what error is being given: wording, error code number, etc.?

Is Windows managing virtual memory. How is virtual memory currently configured?

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Solution

TRENDING THREADS