Question I am getting random keystrokes when I am on my computer. Not just a few but occasionally it stops for awhile.

Aug 29, 2020
I'm a 75 year old gamer. My computer started throwing out random characters. I removed all of my usb except my keyboard and mouse and then brought up a text editor. Even after I unplugged the mouse and keyboard the characters randomly appeared. The characters are all keystrokes including some complex combinations (like alt tab). I disconnected my bluetooth as well and the problem continued. How would I troubleshoot something like this? Thanks in advance.

You might have malware. If you disconnect your computer from the Internet and it stops, then you are infected. If so, you will need to NOT connect your computer to any network and completely reinstall everything from scratch after completely deleting everything.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You might have malware. If you disconnect your computer from the Internet and it stops, then you are infected. If so, you will need to NOT connect your computer to any network and completely reinstall everything from scratch after completely deleting everything.
If someone is typing letters for him then someone is hacking him or what the Mod said and also do run a virus scan if you can. ❤✝☮

Aug 29, 2020
Ran virus scan with McAfee and Malwarebytes Antimalware. Updated my windows. It does it quite randomly. I'm pretty sure its not external peripherals. Next time it starts up I'll unplug my wifi dongle though I don't think that is it. Have to try everything. It is not a cheap computer so I'm not going to trash it.

Ran virus scan with McAfee and Malwarebytes Antimalware. Updated my windows. It does it quite randomly. I'm pretty sure its not external peripherals. Next time it starts up I'll unplug my wifi dongle though I don't think that is it. Have to try everything. It is not a cheap computer so I'm not going to trash it.
Thank you for the additional information. Definitely not good to trash hardware, but if it's in their deep, like bios level deep, it may cost more to repair it then replace it. :(
Any recomendations for a Linux OS I could put on a thumbdrive.
My go to is the TENS livecd made by the DOD:
https://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

And as far as bootable usb, I like rufus:

Aug 29, 2020
I guess trying the linux route is the next step. I took off ALL USB peripherals and let it just set. After a random amount if time it started writing characters to a Word document I kept open for the purpose. If it doesn't do it in Linux I figure the problem is software and will reinstall Windows. Otherwise it will be hardware. +