Question I am in need of suitable graphics card with VGA for HP pavilion a550y windows 7. The original was integrated and no longer works.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I am in need of suitable graphics card with VGA for HP pavilion a550y windows 7. The original was integrated and no longer works.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Seems that model is quite old and has an AGP type video slot. Can you confirm the model number?
The system number is D7222Z - no stated model number other than a550y. The original graphics card has 2 coax adapters, a round nine or ten pin female adapter and a square adapter that used a custom cable to attach multiple devices. I am only looking to attach a vga display so I can power the system up. It has hundreds of CAD drawings and the original software is no longer available.

This system has Windows XP Professional installed.

Last edited:

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I received the video adapter you suggested and it works fine, but the system says there is a problem with my boot drive. I want to remove the c drive to check it on another system, but I am having a problem removing the front cover. I no longer have the user manual. Do you know where i can go to get a copy. The files I need are only viewable with the creating program which is no longer available and the original does not run on Win 7 or Win 10. All of my other systems are Win 10 .
Good luck. If there is anyway possible to migrate your files away from that old rig, I encourage you to do so.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I received the video adapter you suggested and it works fine, but the system says there is a problem with my boot drive. I want to remove the c drive to check it on another system, but I am having a problem removing the front cover. I no longer have the user manual. Do you know where i can go to get a copy. The files I need are only viewable with the creating program which is no longer available and the original does not run on Win 7 or Win 10. All of my other systems are Win 10 .
Migrating the files doesn't do me any good. They were created with QuickCAD which AutoDesk dropped a few years ago and the file format is not supported by any of their current products. But QuickCAD is installed on this system and if I can get the system running , I can access the files.

Checking the disk won't do you much good here, past checking it, the system is likely to still need work to get it running. You don't have a backup of this system as an image? Or a copy of Windows and the software to re-install it? Drives fail often, even in new systems. To keep an older system running you need to have backups of it in the event it crashes. Does the system start in Safe Mode?