Question I am looking for the Windows 10 product key that must be on the HP recovery USB

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
I have an HP Omen. I reformatted the Windows drive and partitioned the disk. I want to use the Windows 10 product key, just the key, that must be on the HP recovery USB stick. Once I have the key I will validate the new Windows 10 installation with it. How would I go about this?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Digital entitlement ties your system activation to the hardware of the system. Generally speaking for most new computers they don't put a product key on a sticker like they used to. When the PC goes online it verifies your key via the MS servers/service and thus will read as 'activated by digital entitlement'. In some cases when it won't there should be a 'contact Microsoft' tab or something there where you can either go online or in some cases actually chat with a tech to restore the activation.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an HP Omen. I reformatted the Windows drive and partitioned the disk. I want to use the Windows 10 product key, just the key, that must be on the HP recovery USB stick. Once I have the key I will validate the new Windows 10 installation with it. How would I go about this?
You're doing a NEW OS install in this system?

If so, you do not need the license key.

Install, skipping where it asks for the OS license.
This system will activate itself once it links to the activation server farm at the mothership.

And if you're doing this via the HP recovery disk, same. Just run it, and it will activate itself.

For an OEM system, there is no "license key" you enter.

TRENDING THREADS