[SOLVED] I am losing my mind

May 13, 2021
Hey, so a little bit of backstory for you to understand my frustration with this situation

Built a PC for my gf at my place everything works fine bla bla bla then one day BOOM the integrated ethernet thingy doesn't work and doesn't appear on the BIOS tried literally EVERYTHING and got an external card that i plugged in, worked for a bit then it kept disconnecting whenever we were playing games, again tried literally EVERYTHING nothing work and it kept disconnecting over and over and OVER

So where are we at now, i bought another motherboard which is the aorus b450 pro version, drivers that came on the CD are installed, tried different ethernet drivers NOTHING works and it keeps disconnecting from time to time which is simply impossible for me only to solve no matter how hard i try

Here's the ipconfig /all if you can take out something from it i'm desesperate, i'm sorry it's in french hope you understand enough

Configuration IP de Windows

Nom de l’hôte . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-PTP2VFD
Suffixe DNS principal . . . . . . :
Type de noeud. . . . . . . . . . : Hybride
Routage IP activé . . . . . . . . : Non
Proxy WINS activé . . . . . . . . : Non
Liste de recherche du suffixe DNS.: numericable.fr

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 3 :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . : numericable.fr
Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Oui
Configuration automatique activée. . . : Oui
Adresse IPv6 de liaison locale. . . . .: fe80::5d1e:ca5b:ec58:9f54%15(préféré)
Adresse IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.0.30(préféré)
Masque de sous-réseau. . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Bail obtenu. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : jeudi 13 mai 2021 21:48:44
Bail expirant. . . . . . . . . . . . . : vendredi 14 mai 2021 21:48:44
Passerelle par défaut. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Serveur DHCP . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
IAID DHCPv6 . . . . . . . . . . . : 263466649
DUID de client DHCPv6. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-CE-D4-E2-E8-4E-06-8B-7F-D8
Serveurs DNS. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.2.0.1
NetBIOS sur Tcpip. . . . . . . . . . . : Activé

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with you, but it spawned literally out of nowhere and i'm not affected and i use windows too same version same motherboard

So one windows computer got corrupted and the other did not. Get a boot unix device [cd/thumb drive, google can find it easily and it takes 30 minutes]. He is right the chances of 2 pieces of hardware having the exact same hardware flaw is like winning the lottery. It happens, but not to me.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the PC you built for your gf at her place or your place?

Have you tried swapping in another known working Ethernet cable on her computer? Any wall jacks, switches, etc. leading back to the router?

On her computer look in Reliability History for any network related error codes, warnings, or informational events.

Network

Make and model: Modem, Router, or Modem/Router if combined?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue about what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Reactions: SamirD
May 13, 2021
Is the PC you built for your gf at her place or your place?

Have you tried swapping in another known working Ethernet cable on her computer? Any wall jacks, switches, etc. leading back to the router?

On her computer look in Reliability History for any network related error codes, warnings, or informational events.

Network

Make and model: Modem, Router, or Modem/Router if combined?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue about what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Hi and thanks for the fast answer, the PC is at my place, i tried different cables and to put it in the wall jack where i'm plugged in it didn't do a thing, i don't think the router is the problem as she's the only one having that issue with ethernet

Tried to look in the history and nothing really stood out regarding the connection

Router logs are completely off topic and by that i mean they don't tell me anthing about what's happening to internet

I should have the full admin so there won't be no problem

One of the first things to try would be a different cable, different jack.

Do you have a lot of devices connecting to the network? IE are you sure there are enough allocated addresses by what is performing DHCP?

We have 3 in total which never caused any issues before this, how can I check that?

Here's the ipconfig /all if you can take out something from it i'm desesperate, i'm sorry it's in french hope you understand enough
Disable ipv6.

disable-ipv6-in-vista.jpg

May 13, 2021
If you have only 3 devices connecting to internet in the house, including phones, game systems, IOT appliances, and other.....you certainly are not out of DHCP addresses.

In total there is 3 PCs, 4 Phones which aren't connected to ethernet but to the wifi so unrelated and that's it, in the DHCP thing in my router page there's only 3 actives which are the PCs

Reactions: punkncat
I don't i get everything you're telling me to do...
Oh sorry about that. Okay, it's pretty simple. Download this iso and write it to a disk:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.3.1_public.iso

If you don't have an optical drive, no problem--write it to an empty usb flash drive using rufus: https://rufus.ie/fr/

Once you have your cd/usb drive ready. Shut down your computer and use the bios boot menu selection to boot off the cd/usb after you put it in the computer.

This will bring up a completely live version of linux running in ram that will not touch your drives or anything else on your computer. It has a browser so you can run some speedtests and packetlosstest.com to see if everything runs correctly or not. If it does not, I don't suspect it's a hardware issue, but some sort of network issue, although hardware can't be completely ruled out either.

Hope this helps!

Ralston18

Titan
Get caught up on the preceding suggestions and tests.

[Note: As for the Ethernet cable - are you able to temporarily run a longer Ethernet cable from her PC directly to the router? Thus bypassing the wall jack and patch panel connections? Or move her pc temporarily closer to the router? Problem could be the wall jack or the wire run(s) serving the wall jack.

Then the router.

This:

"Router logs are completely off topic and by that i mean they don't tell me anthing about what's happening to internet . The logs can be very revealing - maybe some entry that appears with each disconnect.

Knowing the make and model router is still necessary - the router's specs may well provide useful information. Knowing the default configuration settings for example. Some mismatch may identify the problem.

Also, again once you after you have caught up , run "ipconfig /all" again: once on her not-working pc and also on another working pc.

Post both results for comparison purposes.

May 13, 2021
Oh sorry about that. Okay, it's pretty simple. Download this iso and write it to a disk:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.3.1_public.iso

If you don't have an optical drive, no problem--write it to an empty usb flash drive using rufus: https://rufus.ie/fr/

Once you have your cd/usb drive ready. Shut down your computer and use the bios boot menu selection to boot off the cd/usb after you put it in the computer.

This will bring up a completely live version of linux running in ram that will not touch your drives or anything else on your computer. It has a browser so you can run some speedtests and packetlosstest.com to see if everything runs correctly or not. If it does not, I don't suspect it's a hardware issue, but some sort of network issue, although hardware can't be completely ruled out either.

Hope this helps!

I will try tomorrow and get back to you !

Disable ipv6.

disable-ipv6-in-vista.jpg

Didn't change a thing, got dc'd some minutes ago

Get caught up on the preceding suggestions and tests.

[Note: As for the Ethernet cable - are you able to temporarily run a longer Ethernet cable from her PC directly to the router? Thus bypassing the wall jack and patch panel connections? Or move her pc temporarily closer to the router? Problem could be the wall jack or the wire run(s) serving the wall jack.

Then the router.

This:

"Router logs are completely off topic and by that i mean they don't tell me anthing about what's happening to internet . The logs can be very revealing - maybe some entry that appears with each disconnect.

Knowing the make and model router is still necessary - the router's specs may well provide useful information. Knowing the default configuration settings for example. Some mismatch may identify the problem.

Also, again once you after you have caught up , run "ipconfig /all" again: once on her not-working pc and also on another working pc.

Post both results for comparison purposes.

So the specs are the following i couldn't find anything else

The Very High Speed Modem has:

4 RJ 45 Gigabit Ethernet ports (for connecting computers, game consoles etc.)
1 USB ports (to connect a printer, hard drive, USB key)
1 RJ 11 port for Telephony
1 cable entry
1 integrated wifi antenna (supporting 802.11 / g / n standards)
1 WPS button (easy Wi-Fi pairing)
1 WiFi / STBY button
1 on / off switch
1 socket to connect the power supply
1 reset button

This is my ipconfig

Carte Ethernet Ethernet :

Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Adresse IPv6 de liaison locale. . . . .: fe80::4865:482d:5102:44a4%9(préféré)
Adresse IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.0.25(préféré)
Bail obtenu. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : samedi 8 mai 2021 18:01:24
Bail expirant. . . . . . . . . . . . . : samedi 15 mai 2021 00:09:10
IAID DHCPv6 . . . . . . . . . . . : 347352729
DUID de client DHCPv6. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-07-0D-4D-B4-2E-99-E6-57-4D

And hers

Bail expirant. . . . . . . . . . . . . : vendredi 14 mai 2021 23:55:19

Last edited:

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Hey, so a little bit of backstory for you to understand my frustration with this situation

Built a PC for my gf at my place everything works fine bla bla bla then one day BOOM the integrated ethernet thingy doesn't work and doesn't appear on the BIOS tried literally EVERYTHING and got an external card that i plugged in, worked for a bit then it kept disconnecting whenever we were playing games, again tried literally EVERYTHING nothing work and it kept disconnecting over and over and OVER

So where are we at now, i bought another motherboard which is the aorus b450 pro version, drivers that came on the CD are installed, tried different ethernet drivers NOTHING works and it keeps disconnecting from time to time which is simply impossible for me only to solve no matter how hard i try

Adresse physique . . . . . . . . . . . : B4-2E-99-F1-28-76
Adresse IPv6 de liaison locale. . . . .: fe80::5d1e:ca5b:ec58:9f54%15(préféré)
Bail expirant. . . . . . . . . . . . . : vendredi 14 mai 2021 21:48:44
IAID DHCPv6 . . . . . . . . . . . : 263466649
DUID de client DHCPv6. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-CE-D4-E2-E8-4E-06-8B-7F-D8
1) Looks like French,but even though I don't "je ne parle pas français" ,it looks like you are displaying your MAC address. Don't do that.

2) Are you sure it is not your internet connection giving you the drop outs-like a bad cable from the modem to computer/bad cable going into the modem/internet provider screwing up?

May 13, 2021
1) Looks like French,but even though I don't "je ne parle pas français" ,it looks like you are displaying your MAC address. Don't do that.

2) Are you sure it is not your internet connection giving you the drop outs-like a bad cable from the modem to computer/bad cable going into the modem/internet provider screwing up?

Yeah you're right thanks for telling me, yeah i'm pretty sure, as i don't have any issues and we share the same internet and motherboard

May 13, 2021
Sounds good!

Look anywhere on the modem/router for a sticker that tells the model number or part number. That will help us figure out what it is. :)

Sorry for the late answer i did check and ddn't find anything interesting but it should be modec laboxv3b sagcm, made by sagecom for SFR

also i did order a new ethernet cable just in case but i highly doubt this is the problem but i'll keep everything updated

I am late to this thread so it may have been answered.

What do you mean "disconnected". Do you get a red X on the ethernet icon. If you do IPCONFIG /all does it show disconnected.

This would be a hardware type of issue if that is happening.

If that is not what you mean when you say the machine is disconnected can you ping the router IP. What happens if you try to ping 8.8.8.8

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
I am late to this thread so it may have been answered.

What do you mean "disconnected". Do you get a red X on the ethernet icon. If you do IPCONFIG /all does it show disconnected.

This would be a hardware type of issue if that is happening.

If that is not what you mean when you say the machine is disconnected can you ping the router IP. What happens if you try to ping 8.8.8.8

The little globe with a little cross

And I will add another question:

Is NS1 or perhaps Numerical your ISP?

Numericable, bought by SFR a while ago but they are still using their servers

There are very few things that can cause that. In general it means you have a bad cable. It could be bad ports in the pc or the router but that is not likely. Cables are really strange when they fail. They can work intermittently, the wire will expand and contract due to heat. They can also work on some machines and not others. I would try a new cat5e or better cable. You want pure copper wire with wire size 22-24. If you are connecting via in wall wiring try to plug directly into the router just to eliminate some possibilities.

May 13, 2021
There are very few things that can cause that. In general it means you have a bad cable. It could be bad ports in the pc or the router but that is not likely. Cables are really strange when they fail. They can work intermittently, the wire will expand and contract due to heat. They can also work on some machines and not others. I would try a new cat5e or better cable. You want pure copper wire with wire size 22-24. If you are connecting via in wall wiring try to plug directly into the router just to eliminate some possibilities.

The cable arrives tomorrow in the meantime we can only wait, i'll see if it was the cable, the hardware or the router shouldn't be the cause. I'll also try to plug it in directly instead of via wall and i'll keep everything updated even if it takes some day