Question I am not able to install windows 10 in a Dell Inspiron 15 N5050

tcmgl

Prominent
Feb 21, 2023
I had a similar issue with another old Dell laptop and was never able to do a clean windows install to an SSD. But here I have a Dell Inspiron 15 N5050, a 2012 I believe.

I had previously cloned the old HDD to the SSD and it worked fine for a little over 2 years. But now it was giving problems, and it had many systems errors in Windows Event viewer, so I thot I would just to a clean windows install, so I started with resetting the PC but keeping the files. It was just not successful, I am not sure what the issue was.

But I wanted to just do a complete windows install, so I just put another SSD in it, and tried to install windows normally, and I just get this:

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files

So I tried these steps by pressing Shift + F10:
  1. Type DISKPART
  2. Type LIST DISK
  3. Type SELECT DISK [the number next to your SSD]
  4. Type CLEAN
  5. Type CONVERT MBR
  6. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
  7. Type LIST VOLUME
  8. Type SELECT VOLUME [the number next to your SSD]
  9. Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
  10. Type EXIT and close the CMD program
I did MBR because it would says something to the affect that it will not be able to partition drive because it was a type GPT. So I found these steps and just changed the GPT to MBR, not sure if all the other steps remain the same, like step 9?

In BIOS:
External ports enabled
SATA Operation: Tried with both given options, ATA and AHCI but same results
And nothing I still get the same error.

I try to format the drive just by using the Format button in the installation media.....still the same.

I have search around in these forums and other sites, but can't seem to find a solution that will work.

I followed this steps and still nothing:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/wind...ate-a-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one

Can anybody give me any further instructions here?

USAFRet

Titan
Delete ALL existing partitions on the drive.

Follow this step by step, and let us know where it fails.