No video output

Below is my setup

RAM: CRUCIAL 16GB 2X8 D43600 C16 RGB B

CPU: AMD AMD RYZEN 7 3700X WRAITHP

PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS+ 750W 80+G FM ATX

SSD: SAMSUNG E 1TB 970EVO+NVME M.2

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX

GPU:EVGA RTX3060 XC GAMING

Currently everything turns on and all seems to be working properly. I did notice that the GPU fans spin briefly then stop. No indicator lights on the motherboard suggest issues.

Secondly,

I have tried to plug in my hdmi cable into the GPU and also directly into the motherboard and still no display. I currently don’t have a keyboard and mouse hooked up to the computer as I left it at work. I will be bringing it home today. Any idea why I am not getting any video output?

Solution
Hello, a few ideas:

1. Are GPU PCIE power cables plugged in, right?

2. Are the 4+4 CPU power cable also plugged?

3. Does the motherboard box said its Ryzen 3000 ready ? (Yes I know the "MAX" version should all be Ryzen 3xxx ready by now, but you never know)

4. Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM at the time?

5. Just in case, check that the small button you can see in this picture (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Gallery#lg=1&slide=4) is not hold down by the back panel io shield (the one that was installed in the case before inserting the motherboard in). Sometimes the io shield and/or the mobo may be misaligned and keep the button press all the time.

6. Do you have any other video cable to...
Hello, a few ideas:

1. Are GPU PCIE power cables plugged in, right?

2. Are the 4+4 CPU power cable also plugged?

3. Does the motherboard box said its Ryzen 3000 ready ? (Yes I know the "MAX" version should all be Ryzen 3xxx ready by now, but you never know)

4. Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM at the time?

5. Just in case, check that the small button you can see in this picture (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Gallery#lg=1&slide=4) is not hold down by the back panel io shield (the one that was installed in the case before inserting the motherboard in). Sometimes the io shield and/or the mobo may be misaligned and keep the button press all the time.

6. Do you have any other video cable to test?

As for HDMI cable leave it on the GPU video ports. The Ryzen 7 3700X does not have integrated GPU so the motherboard video ports wont work.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Sep 2, 2021
Hello, a few ideas:

1. Are GPU PCIE power cables plugged in, right? Yes the fans briefly spin when powered on.

2. Are the 4+4 CPU power cable also plugged? Yes the CPU fan is running.

3. Does the motherboard box said its Ryzen 3000 ready ? (Yes I know the "MAX" version should all be Ryzen 3xxx ready by now, but you never know) I will check this

4. Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM at the time? I tried this and the same result. Will confirm though with running only through the GPU

I saw this button and it is free and clear.

6. Do you have any other video cable to test?

I checked with two separated HDMI cables. I will try another one when I get gome

As for HDMI cable leave it on the GPU video ports. The Ryzen 7 3700X does not have integrated GPU so the motherboard video ports wont work.

See above replies

Sep 2, 2021
So I tried 1 ram and it didn’t work. I then tried the other pcie slot on my motherboard with one ram and it worked. I then put the other ram in and rebooted and it worked as well. Any idea why this would happen? I am going to try the initial Pcie slot again and see if it is now working as well. Thank you all for your help.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Glad that worked :) Maybe one of expert can explain good, this seems like no uncommon occurance for long time now. Same for trying different pci slot or swap in another gpu to make new gpu work in same slot. Maybe once you save bios you can change gpu slot and it be ok.