Question I am struggling to match 128GB DDR5

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
My objective is to construct a modest AI workstation that boasts an Intel Core i9*13900KS,
an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme, and a Nvidia RTX 4090.

Although Intel promises 128GB DDR5 RAM capability, the CPU's maximum 2-channel limitation makes it more of a fallacy than a reality.

I am desperately trying to find a workaround that allows me to take full advantage of the 128GB RAM capacity with my proposed configuration.

Or do I just need to wait for a new processor that can even fulfill the LGA 1700's 198 GB capability, who knows when it will be?

Or do I have to sell my house and acquire those new Xeons as Intel suggests?

Any insights would be appreciated.

The maximus Z790 Extreme is a costly board.

The threadripper 5000 series is equipped with 8 channel memory and costs almost double the price compared to 128GB DDR5 and the top of the line mobo.

I think for your tasks, you could go for Threadripper Pro CPU like this: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-5955wx/p/N82E16819113776?Description=Threadripper Pro&cm_re=Threadripper_Pro-_-19-113-776-_-Product&quicklink=true

MOBO - https://www.newegg.com/asrock-wrx80...e=wrx80-_-13-162-096-_-Product&quicklink=true

RAM - 8 X 16gb 8 channel memory - https://www.newegg.com/p/1X5-003Z-017J3?quicklink=true

Cooler - https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u14s-tr4-sp3-premium-grade-140mm-cpu-cooler-for-amd-tr4-sp3/p/13C-0005-00140?Description=NH U14S SP3&cm_re=NH_U14S SP3-_-13C-0005-00140-_-Product&quicklink=true

Get the chromax Heatsink covers and Chromax fans if you dont like the looks. https://www.newegg.com/compatible-with-noctua-nh-u14s-nh-u14s-tr4-sp3-and-nh-u14s-dx-3647-heat-sinks/p/13C-0005-001B9?Description=NH U14S Chromax&cm_re=NH_U14S Chromax-_-13C-0005-001B9-_-Product&quicklink=true

If you need more GPU VRAM, u might look into RTX6000 ada as it can be linked up with NVLink and has 48GB VRAM.

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I realized I might have a wrong idea about how dual channel and 4 dimms... I suppose I misinterpreted something I read.
But still, there is a significant problem with using all 4 DIMMs, especially with DDR5, in conjunction with the 13900KS' XMP. I realize that the MOBO plays a crucial role here. And that's on its own, a completely different adventure.

It looks like I should choose capacity over the speed.

PS: I realized that my page didn't refresh properly, so I didn't realize there were responses.

Thank you for the list.
I am biased against AMD., partially psychologically and partially based on third-party (pro) experiences.
Also, I would like to go with DDR5.

At the time when I realized a XEON system were a bit far to rich, I was almost considering a 5995WX system.
But DDR4 was unappealing to me.

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
That is something I should definitely look into it. With my terrible eyes, painfully sluggish laptop, and overwhelmed brain, it probably will take me some time (with more agony) to get a grasp of it...

thanks a lot! :)

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
^ also, just wanted to point out that the prosumer Xeon platform W790 is comparatively new but the CPUs cost about 500USD more to the comparable core count threadripper counterparts.

like these Intel® Xeon® Silver 4416+ sells about 1500 USD or Intel Xeon w5-3435X or w5-2465X

The 3000 series come with 8 channel supp but need appropriate 8 channel mobo. Note that most W790 mobo i see has 8 dimms but run on quad channel setup - wierd...

W790 https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...re=W790-_-13-119-638-_-Product&quicklink=true

Cooler - https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0005-0...677-_-9SIAADYJJH2726-_-Product&quicklink=true

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you Lucky. Though when I said "a XEON system were a bit far to rich" I was thinking about the ultimate WS system. "Sky is the limit" type of approach. :) Namely; the Xeon Platinum 9282...

But in all seriousness, I need to limit my budget to a maximum of 10 grand. And that should cover a server bay, and a decent (expensive) monitor. So, both W790, (which is nice but not as nice as the new scalable Xeons) and 5995WX are out of my targeted budget...

I am actually contemplating constructing an average desktop and utilizing cloud GPUs and CPUs until the arrival of the anticipated new Intel CPU. I am confident that it will fully realize the Z790's capabilities, including an impressive 192GB of four-channel DDR5 RAM. Or maybe Corsair comes up with a 128GB (2x64) RAM kit and that would be great too... :)

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you Lucky. I appreciate your sincere effort in assisting me,
I might be a hopeless case... :)

I am really not an AMD fan. And again DDR4, previous Gen CPU, quite slow single core speed, and what not I don't see the appeal.

I don't feel comfortable investing in previous tech. Not that I am going to live forever but, at least as long as I do, I try to invest in neverending future... ;)

cheers

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
May 10, 2023
I'm running a Intel i9 13900K with an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, and a RTX 4070 Ti.

I couldn't get 2 x 64GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB kits (2 x 32GB 5600MT/s DDR5 CL40) to boot Win11. Running 1 x 64GB kit was fine, even overclocked.

Made the decision to switch to 2 x 64GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB kits (2 x 32GB 6000MT/s DDR5 CL40). They're stable at 4800MHz 38 38 38 70 108 timings. That's good enough for read/write/copy speeds of about 570 Gbps according to AIDA64. Could probably run them a bit faster if inclined but haven't seriously tried.

Cooling the memory seems to be the bottleneck for running them faster. With 4 sticks jammed in, there's not much airflow. The 2 sticks in the middle are always hotter. I do wonder if going with the non-RGB solution would help a little. Either way, cooling seems to be the key based on the limited testing I've done.

I have been tempted to try CORSAIR's 192GB DDR5 kit which runs at 5200MT/s but don't need the extra capacity. Plus, the bank account is still hurting from the failed run at mixing the 64GB CORSAIR kits.

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Sorry to hear that... I have been in touch with all the manufacturers involved. And Corsair Tech (best Tech support, by the way) clearly stated that trying to pair (2x32) x 2 is pointless. That's what Intel Tech initially suggested...

INTEL: "You can use four 32GB Memory modules to attain the 128 GB maximum memory Size for the i913900KS-
by populating the four DIMM slots per the photo below from the motherboard's manual. We highly recommend to coordinate this with ASUS support for the validated RAM makes and models."

Corsair: "Regarding the Intel proposal, that is not how our memory works." Our memory is only paired to work alongside the other memory in the same box, and I don't think an Intel employee would know that unless they were a Corsair enthusiast."

"CORSAIR's 192GB DDR5 Kit" is what I was buying first with anticipation of a monster.. Then I suddenly realized, the CPU peculiarly (officially) supports a smirk of 128GB! That was disappointment, along with the max number of memory channels being just; "2"!

And when you add to this equation, the fact that there are no (2x64) 128GB RAM kits in the market, one wonders what is the point of having the 198GB platform is!

Then I got excited again when Corsair Tech told me that the 13900K series actually and unofficially supports 198GB RAM!

HELLO!

Also, linked me to this Tom's H News titled; "Intel's Alder Lake, Raptor Lake CPUs Get Support for 192GB of DDR5"

Which tells: "MSI on Friday announced that its Intel 600 and 700-series motherboards fully support 24GB and 48GB DDR5 memory modules. As a result, Intel's latest 12th Gen and 13th Generation Core processors can now support up to 192GB of DDR5 memory on MSI's platforms based on Intel's latest chipsets. Other makers of motherboards will likely follow MSI's statement shortly. "

On the MSI page (announced) they are showing the Configuration: i9-13900K and MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI

support-20230210-2.jpg

I passed that information to Intel, of course, Intel tends to beat around the bushes and told me this:

INTEL: "We have to reiterate that we can only comment on the official specifications released for this processor Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS Processor. The information that Corsair shared is a 3rd-party link (toms hardware) that we cannot comment on nor confirm."

I responded by saying that Tom is simply relaying the information provided by MSI, which is backed up by evidence in the document.

Furthermore, "All three leading makers of DRAM have already either formally announced, or at least demonstrated their 24Gb DDR5 memory chips that allow to build the so-called non-binary 24GB and 48GB memory modules." As Tom reports.

There are several (4x48) 198GB Kits available on the market today.

Yet, there are no attainable 128GB in the horizon. Not even an announcement!...

And, I also should add that ROG Maximus z790 Extreme also added Corsair 192GB kit to the mobo's QV list.
However, due to the lack of Tech representation at Asus, you get salespeople who are not even aware of those kits.

ASUS: "You can check here the QVL of your motherboard, https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-extreme-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/. You can check there that there are no RAM sticks that are included for 4 socket support."

Then, I provided the list of the 4x Kits that are currently available, for his defense; some of which were just released a day or two ago.

CORSAIRCMH192GX5M4B5200C384x 48GBXMP52005200DSSpectek B38-38-38-841.251,2,4
CORSAIRCMK192GX5M4B5200C384x 48GBXMP52005200DSSpectek B38-38-38-841.251,2,4

Then I got this message:

ASUS: "Since it is in our QVL, then it is tested and confirmed to be compatible and should work fine."

So, it is not a very reassuring line of "technical" communication. He was a nice guy it's just that pre-sale technical support is not a thing at ASUS...

However, I relayed these updates to Intel as well... The response indicated that they were still dancing around the same bushes.

So, first I reminded them what they"officially" have stated;

"We have to reiterate that we can only comment on the official specifications released for the 'i9-13900KS'."

and I added:
"Okay. The CPU's official specs dictate a capacity of 128 GB, indicating that this is the optimal amount to be utilized. So, please, could someone kindly share the process of configuring RAM for end-users?
Additionally, can you specify which RAM kits and motherboards were used for the testing process? "

Here we are, I hope ASUS provides more diligent and technical support, while also hoping Intel offers truthful support, as the ball is in their court currently.

UPDATE

Well, an update is required.

Both, Asus and Intel has returned promptly.
Asus has just provided a landline phone number.

ASUS doesn't want to convey the support line through emails. I respect that. ( I requested that as an option)

INTEL, however had a much more elaborated response:

"Kindly check our engineers' opinion below:
Validation of memory size/modules is done by our motherboard ODM partners. You can find most motherboards have a memory QVL that lists the modules, size, and speeds confirmed to work with their motherboards. For any configuration of 198GB, the customer needs to consult the RAM vendor and motherboard vendor as our specification clearly said it is 128GB.

As per the concerns you've raised:
1. Corsair Tech disagrees with the suggestion of using 2x (2x32) 4 RAM sticks to fill all four slots in order to obtain 128 GB.

"Regarding the Intel proposal, that is not how our memory works." Our memory is only paired to work alongside the other memory in the same box, and I don't think an Intel employee would know that unless they were a Corsair enthusiast."

We cannot comment on what Corsair Tech said. Please be advised that the configuration we shared using 2x (2x32) 4 RAM can be found on your motherboard's manual, and has been/validated and tested to be working by the motherboard team. The memory controller is on the processor, but the memory slots are configured by the motherboard manufacturer, which is the reason why the compatibility checking between the RAM and motherboard should be done they the motherboard manufacturer.

2. The CPU's official specs dictate a capacity of 128 GB, indicating that this is the optimal amount to be utilized. Could someone kindly share the process of configuring RAM for end-users? Additionally, can you specify which RAM kits and motherboards were used for the testing process?

Intel manufactures processors and provides the specifications it supports. Motherboard manufacturers designed their system board based on the processor's supported configuration, and not the other way around.

We highly recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer support team, to get their list of tested-compatible products that work with Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS Processor. Please raise your concern regarding the RAM configuration that we shared based on the manual as Corsair Tech disagrees with it."

So, there you have it.

Intel seems to be evasive. I inquired about which motherboard and RAM were utilized to arrive at the 128GB conclusion.

The fallowing doesn't answer the question:

"Intel manufactures processors and provides the specifications it supports. Motherboard manufacturers designed their system board based on the processor's supported configuration, and not the other way around."

They are not going to talk about how did they get to the 128GB!

I have a hopeful suspicion that a brand new Intel CPU will be released in the last quarter, and it will come packed with various goodies, including official support for 192GB of RAM. It's a hopeful intuition.

Corsair Tech did point out that, if I had to insist on the 128GB configuration, the only feasible solution to acquire 128GB RAM, would be to use 2x (2x32) 64GB kits, an obvious mathematical calculation. However, he did include an additional remark:

"You may be able to have stability if you purchase 2 of these (Corsair kits) and not enable XMP, or if you get really lucky in regard to the quality of your other components and great BIOS releases you may be able to have XMP running without issues in such a configuration. The problem here is that you are taking your chances on it working fine even with XMP disabled for months and then your system simply refusing to boot, you start losing data, etc."

"The required support is being implemented through micro-code updates for both Intel and AMD."

So, everything really comes down to motherboard and BIOS, and if we include micro-code "volatile" updates; ('volatile' because it is Ram oriented operation since the microcode is already baked into the CPU.)
Microcode updates are being delivered via the Windows OS
I suppose both for Intel and AMD processors.

In essence, the crux of it all lies within the motherboard and BIOS, along with the potential inclusion of 'volatile' micro-code updates. (which, given its Ram-oriented operation and the CPU's pre-existing state, is typically facilitated by Microsoft for both Intel and AMD).

I anticipate having a comprehensive discussion with ASUS, but the extent of its usefulness will most likely hinge on the person I am conversing with; Tech or Sales, which one will it be?

I want to make sure that the motherboard I buy is the best possible option, as I have no interest in purchasing any other alternative. so I pray my conversation with ASUS will be a fruitful one.

Last edited:

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
CORRECTION:

I just realized that I have consistently written; "198GB" in every post I made!

Of course, that is entirely inaccurate. They all should read; "192GB" instead.

I apologize for the slip-up.

Jun 30, 2023
CORRECTION:

I just realized that I have consistently written; "198GB" in every post I made!

Of course, that is entirely inaccurate. They all should read; "192GB" instead.

I apologize for the slip-up.
Hi cemster! It looks like you did a lot of research into the possibility of running 192 gb of ddr5 ram with the 13900k.

Did you get a chance to try it yourself? Or have you had anymore updates? I appreciate your looking into the matter!

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Well, sadly, the Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme is, for some reason, out of stock and appears to be an discontinued product! And the i9-13900KS is nowhere to be found...

So, unfortunately, I have to wait for the upcoming stuff... :(

However, I had the privilege of using a configuration that includes a 128GB of DDR5 RAM coupled with the i9-13900K.
It functions flawlessly with XMP enabled, although restricted to stage 1 only.

I'll share my progress once I attain a successful outcome...

Jun 30, 2023
Well, sadly, the Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme is, for some reason, out of stock and appears to be an discontinued product! And the i9-13900KS is nowhere to be found...

So, unfortunately, I have to wait for the upcoming stuff... :(

However, I had the privilege of using a configuration that includes a 128GB of DDR5 RAM coupled with the i9-13900K.
It functions flawlessly with XMP enabled, although restricted to stage 1 only.

I'll share my progress once I attain a successful outcome...
Mind if i ask which 128gb ddr5 you got? I assume its a kit? I had read XMP wouldn't work on 4 sticks, so I am intrigued.

Also, I'm a bit new to all of this... what do you mean by restricted to stage 1?

Thank you for your response!