[SOLVED] I am trying to change Password for Local Administrator in GPO

seema kanwal

Reputable
Aug 6, 2020
Dear User,

I am trying to creat a Group Policy in which I can change/update password of local users. But I don't understand why is it showing Password option as greyed.
GPO Image Error

Kindly help me out.

Solution
D
use this guide
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...nistrator-password-thru-gpo?forum=winserverGP

There's no built-in Group Policy setting that can change the local administrator's password for you.

However:

1. There is a Group Policy Preference (GPP) that can do it for you
    Changing the local Administrator password on domain members has become pretty easy with the advent of Group Policy Preferences.

Start the Group Policy snap-in, expand Computer Configuration, expand Preferences, click Control Panel, and then right-click Local Users and Groups. From the menu select New - Local User. Select...
D

Deleted member 14196

use this guide
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...nistrator-password-thru-gpo?forum=winserverGP

There's no built-in Group Policy setting that can change the local administrator's password for you.

However:

1. There is a Group Policy Preference (GPP) that can do it for you
    Changing the local Administrator password on domain members has become pretty easy with the advent of Group Policy Preferences.

Start the Group Policy snap-in, expand Computer Configuration, expand Preferences, click Control Panel, and then right-click Local Users and Groups. From the menu select New - Local User. Select Update as the action, type Administrator into the User name text box, then type the new password into the Password text box, confirming the password in Confirm Password text box. Press OK.

Reactions: Ralston18
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

That means that you don’t have permission to go there and do anything in that area. Your best bet is to work with your organization and get this fixed because nobody’s going to be able to tell you what’s going on With any degree of certainty

USAFRet

Titan
Dear User,

I am trying to creat a Group Policy in which I can change/update password of local users. But I don't understand why is it showing Password option as greyed.
GPO Image Error

Kindly help me out.
The Local Admin or Domain Admin person and account should never ever know nor change a users password.
Even if it is possible, which I do not think it is.

Disable maybe, and prompt them to create a new one on next log in.
That's it.