[SOLVED] I am trying to upgrade my current build, any suggestions?

sharksz

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hi! I haven't posted on here in years but recently came back for more professional help because I honestly wouldn't know too much of what I can upgrade without it screwing something else over.

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g with Radeon Vega Graphics
Motherboard: B450M DS3H
Memory: Patrio Viper 4 8GB (2x4GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Storage: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Video Card: Nvidia GeoForce GTX 1050 Ti
Case: Cougar MX330 Mid Tower Case with Full Acrylic Transparent Window and USB 3.0
Power Supply: CORSAIR CX Series CX550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 10

Now I was extremely close to purchasing another set of RAM and the SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB SATA III SD card but I wanted to ask for your help before spending anything.
I'm mainly trying to play games such as Warzone or Apex legends at the moment but the stutter is so bad that it's borderline unplayable.

What can I upgrade in order to run those games decently? My budget for upgrades right now is $200. But I want to do this slowly over time so I can continue to upgrade piece by piece, thanks in advance.

Reactions: sharksz
Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

sharksz

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Thank you guys for the quick responses, I honestly was not aware how important rebates are so that's the reason for not including it.

is 8GB of ram enough to go along with the GPU's suggested?

Thank you guys for the quick responses, I honestly was not aware how important rebates are so that's the reason for not including it.

is 8GB of ram enough to go along with the GPU's suggested?
Apex Legends has 8GB RAM as recommended requirements: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/about/pc-system-requirements
COD Warzone has 8GB as the minimum requirements: https://support.activision.com/call...nd-recommended-specs-for-call-of-duty-warzone

In a perfect scenario getting a total of 16GB RAM would be ideal. However, that won't work with your current budget if you want an SSD. For day to day work, you will get the most utility out of the SSD and GPU upgrade and then in a month or so when you have a spare $50 get another 8GB RAM with the identical settings.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I cannot recommend making the swap from a 1050ti to a 570. The memory buffer is better, but in actual game play you are looking at only a few frames. I recently did a build for a friend's son and it was originally for the ti card putting out about 40 frames at 1080p. For the budget on hand the person buying opted for the RX570 based on reviews and such. It was doing about 45 frames at 1080p. I am sure it would do well better in some of the 'e sports' titles and such but honestly a bit disappointed based on all the great reviews I have read and seen concerning the card.

Changing to an SSD is high priority but will only have a lot of effect on games if you are going into page file a lot. You could be with only 8GB of RAM, but IMO I would likely look to rub a few nickels together and target 1660 territory.

My upgrade path on that would be, in no specific order:
R5 1600AF
16GB of 3200+ DDR4
m.2 NVME OS drive
1660ti/Super

I cannot recommend making the swap from a 1050ti to a 570. The memory buffer is better, but in actual game play you are looking at only a few frames. I recently did a build for a friend's son and it was originally for the ti card putting out about 40 frames at 1080p. For the budget on hand the person buying opted for the RX570 based on reviews and such. It was doing about 45 frames at 1080p. I am sure it would do well better in some of the 'e sports' titles and such but honestly a bit disappointed based on all the great reviews I have read and seen concerning the card.

Changing to an SSD is high priority but will only have a lot of effect on games if you are going into page file a lot. You could be with only 8GB of RAM, but IMO I would likely look to rub a few nickels together and target 1660 territory.

My upgrade path on that would be, in no specific order:
R5 1600AF
16GB of 3200+ DDR4
m.2 NVME OS drive
1660ti/Super
About the only game where you might go from 40fps with the 1050Ti to 45fps with the 570 is GTA-V. Everything else is like a 30%+ upgrade in GPU performance https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2525?vs=2573 https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028.html

Going with the 1600AF is only a good route if you can find it cheap, which is very hard to do right now. Better CPU upgrade path would be the 3600. Already has DDR4-3000MHz RAM so unless a brand new 2x8GB kit is purchased and sells the 2x4GB kit, the difference in performance from 4x4GB 3000MHz to 2x8GB 3600MHz will be around 2-3%. However, due to running 4 Ranks RAM in the 4x4 configuration vs 2 Ranks RAM in the 2x8 configuration, the performance will probably be higher with 4x4 3000MHz vs 2x8 3600MHz.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
About the only game where you might go from 40fps with the 1050Ti to 45fps with the 570 is GTA-V. Everything else is like a 30%+ upgrade in GPU performance https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2525?vs=2573 https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028.html

Going with the 1600AF is only a good route if you can find it cheap, which is very hard to do right now.

The tests were made within a couple of freeware GPU benchmarks, notably Furmark, and then checked in the benchmark for Ashes. System is an 8600K so certainly not lack of processing power. It is my assumption that, and some verification from TechYes on one of his latest videos that many of the reviewers are using lower resolution and then scaling to make it look like 1080. It isn't meaning to say that everyone is doing it, and certainly not accusing anand of horseplay, but it certainly didn't real world the performance expected. Totally could be a result of specific card choice. There are loads of variety in the RX5xx series of cards.

As to the 1600AF, I was not aware they had been depleted. A 2600 or 3600 would be a solid choice, particularly with the latter on a sale price.

The tests were made within a couple of freeware GPU benchmarks, notably Furmark, and then checked in the benchmark for Ashes. System is an 8600K so certainly not lack of processing power. It is my assumption that, and some verification from TechYes on one of his latest videos that many of the reviewers are using lower resolution and then scaling to make it look like 1080. It isn't meaning to say that everyone is doing it, and certainly not accusing anand of horseplay, but it certainly didn't real world the performance expected. Totally could be a result of specific card choice. There are loads of variety in the RX5xx series of cards.

As to the 1600AF, I was not aware they had been depleted. A 2600 or 3600 would be a solid choice, particularly with the latter on a sale price.
Cheapest 1600AF on Amazon is $150 which is sad for budget builders. It wasn't that long ago that the 2600 was $120 but it is running $150-160 now.

Reactions: punkncat

sharksz

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Alright, so I have a couple questions left;
Does XFX and Gigabyte both provide different performances for the RX570 since it's the same GPU but different brands I assume?
Am I able to use the SLI feature with the 1050ti + the RX570? Or is that something that requires a better cpu?

I have decided to go with Jeremy's suggestions, as the NVME is my preferred option and the XFX seems to be advantages compared to the Gigabyte version (which is why I am asking lol, a bit confused on why).

Alright, so I have a couple questions left;
Does XFX and Gigabyte both provide different performances for the RX570 since it's the same GPU but different brands I assume?
Am I able to use the SLI feature with the 1050ti + the RX570? Or is that something that requires a better cpu?

I have decided to go with Jeremy's suggestions, as the NVME is my preferred option and the XFX seems to be advantages compared to the Gigabyte version (which is why I am asking lol, a bit confused on why).
Technically there is a way to do cross-fire, but it isn't worth it. Most new games don't have cross-fire or sli profiles.
Looking at the clock speeds, there will be minor differences at best in performance between the GPUs.

Alright, will there come a time where I would need to replace the motherboard? If say, I improve on the CPU with the R5 3600 in the future?
You have a B450 motherboard, with nothing more than a BIOS update your motherboard will work with Ryzen 3000 series. AMD also just said that B450 & X470 motherboards will support Ryzen 4000 series but there is a question as to how that will work out.

Right now going from a 2200G to 3600 is a pretty large step up in CPU performance. Clock for clock the Zen 2 CPUs are about 15-17% faster than anything based on the original Zen core. The 3600 with 6c/12t and a 3.6/4.2 clock rate vs the 2200G with 4c/4t and a 3.5/3.7 clock rate you will have a good 15% better performance on single threaded applications. On applications that can use more than 4 treads the difference in performance will be even larger. For example the multithreaded 3D Particle Movement is about 3x faster on the 3600 than the 2200G.

sharksz

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
You have a B450 motherboard, with nothing more than a BIOS update your motherboard will work with Ryzen 3000 series. AMD also just said that B450 & X470 motherboards will support Ryzen 4000 series but there is a question as to how that will work out.

Right now going from a 2200G to 3600 is a pretty large step up in CPU performance. Clock for clock the Zen 2 CPUs are about 15-17% faster than anything based on the original Zen core. The 3600 with 6c/12t and a 3.6/4.2 clock rate vs the 2200G with 4c/4t and a 3.5/3.7 clock rate you will have a good 15% better performance on single threaded applications. On applications that can use more than 4 treads the difference in performance will be even larger. For example the multithreaded 3D Particle Movement is about 3x faster on the 3600 than the 2200G.
Awesome, thank you and everyone else who shared their knowledge on this thread. I will be getting the XFX RX570 GPU alongside the NVME ssd. In the future I could save up for the spec upgrades such as CPU & more RAM.