Question I bent the edges of the metal part on top of the cpu while trying to close the cover

Aug 19, 2020
I was trying to close the cover and apparently i did it wrong and the metal part on the edges were bent, will this be problem?

Furzumz

Reputable
I might know what you're referring to right off the bat but again a picture would be more helpful to make sure

But making an assumption here, you're using a intel processor right? And there's a metal "plate" that drops down ontop of the processor that looks something vaguely like this?

And it gouged the sides of the metal plate like so on the sides?

If I'm correct with all of the above then those little gouges are common among certain intel processors. If you look at used intel CPU's on places like ebay you might see some of them with gouged edges like that. It's from that metal plate on the motherboard applying pressure to the CPU to help it make contact with what it needs to in the CPU socket. This can cause the edges of the metal plate on the CPU to be gouged into a bit which won't hurt anything as its literally just a piece of metal.

Hop onto ebay and look up "used LGA processor" and you'll see processors with similar gouges on them in the same spots

Aug 19, 2020
The answer to all your questions is yes, and thanks a lot for helping me out! This is my first time building a PC and i thought I was going to have to buy a new CPU. Again, thanks a lot for the quick response.

Reactions: Furzumz