Question I biggest bang for my buck PC parts for VR?

May 12, 2019
I am getting a VR headset for my birthday and a PC to run it along side the headset. My maximum budget is 1500 dollars for both the Headset and PC, the cheaper the PC, the more expensive my headset can be. But I also need to fall into the recommended specs of a VR capable PC. I am new to this whole PC Master race thing and don’t want to over pay for something when there is a better option. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well it really depends on which headset you opt for as the prices vary quite a bit and that places limitations on your PC build. A build like this gives you more than enough power for VR and still leaves enough room for just about any headset you want:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($215.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $796.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-12 08:55 EDT-0400

-Wolf sends

Reactions: jcmm8
A build like this gives you more than enough power for VR...
I wouldn't necessarily say that, as it will depend on the headset. A first-generation Oculus Rift or HTC Vive could likely get along pretty well on an RX 580 due to their relatively low resolution screens, but the newer headsets coming out lately use higher resolution panels, and depending on just how high that resolution is, they would probably want a faster graphics card for it. Especially when you consider that future VR games are likely to become somewhat more demanding.

I would spend more on the graphics card for VR, whether its for a GTX 1660 (about $220 for around 20% more performance), a 1660 Ti (around $280) or a 2060 (around $350). Or maybe one of the upcoming new graphics cards from AMD, depending on when they come out and when the birthday is.

At the very least, it's hard to budget the system without having a better idea of what VR headset they might be interested in. Also, is a monitor going to be required for this system and figured into the cost?

Lucky kid.

The above parts ate okay for a good quality entry level system. It will be superior to any console vr system.

But i would honestly tweek that config and get a 1660ti or amd vega 56 (later is better due to more ram). Rx580s go into warp/reprojection mode a lot which means you are getting an interpolated 90fps instead of a true 90fps. The two cards i suggested will run smoother and get you closer to that true 90fps guideline to avoid motion sickness.

Latest posts