Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
So long story short, I bought a PS5 on a store (model CFI-1200A), which ended up being japanese, the thing is: console and manual say 100V ~ 3.55A 50/60MHz, can I safely plug it? Argentina is 220V 50Hz.
If not, can I use a transformer? I was recommended a 700W in a store (i think is an overkill).

Ralston18

Titan
Specifically what "700W" was recommended?

Providing electrical that is anything other than what the PS5 is designed to use is likely to end badly.

There are travel converters that can be found and one of those converters may be viable.

Google "220 to 100 volt converters" as a starting point.

Pay very close attention to specs and details before buying and connecting.

Ralston18

Titan
What manual?

What matters are the specs required by the PS5.

And, thus far, I can agree that 700 watts may be overkill if the actual required wattage is lower. Generally it makes sense to have a bit of extra wattage margin available via any given power source.

Not double with regards to power consumption. And that "dude".

Wattage is the product of voltage and current (amps).

Plus I have the sense, because you mentioned "overkill", that you have some understanding of that.

If not, then the basic wattage formulas are easily found online.

The key is to ensure that the PS5 only receives both the voltage and the amperage that the PS5 is rated for within any stated tolerances....

Do so and the wattage will take care of itself.

There may be additonal comments and suggestions from members who are more familar with various world power systems etc..

Keep the PS5 receipt handy - just in case the PS5 may need to be returned.

And then purchase, if possible, a PS5 for Argentina's grid.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
What manual?

What matters are the specs required by the PS5.

And, thus far, I can agree that 700 watts may be overkill if the actual required wattage is lower. Generally it makes sense to have a bit of extra wattage margin available via any given power source.

Not double with regards to power consumption. And that "dude".

Wattage is the product of voltage and current (amps).

Plus I have the sense, because you mentioned "overkill", that you have some understanding of that.

If not, then the basic wattage formulas are easily found online.

The key is to ensure that the PS5 only receives both the voltage and the amperage that the PS5 is rated for within any stated tolerances....

Do so and the wattage will take care of itself.

There may be additonal comments and suggestions from members who are more familar with various world power systems etc..

Keep the PS5 receipt handy - just in case the PS5 may need to be returned.

And then purchase, if possible, a PS5 for Argentina's grid.
i mean, the specs manual, where it details all the features and so, there it lists theis info: "100V ~ 3.55A 50/60MHz". I'm not that informed of electricity stuff, I only have a simple understinding of wattage because of researching info to build my own pc... but yeah, on monday I'll go to an official technitian in my city and see what he tells me...

The thing with returning it is that this is the spiderman edition, and here they are a little harder to find, but I'll consider it if finding a solution is more troublesom than returning it

Ralston18

Titan
Go online with the technician and have him help you select an applicable voltage converter.

With the applicable plugs and outlets.

Take the manual and specs with you.

Look for a quality product with good reviews and ratings. Plus all of the necessary electrical approvals/certifications for use in Argentina.

700 Watts may be "overkill" with respect to the PS5 but quality and safety are more important.

The 100 volts is going to be the tricky part. Only japan I think uses that. The ones you would use to power stuff from say the USA needs 120 volts.

The power calculation is simple math. 100volts *3.55 amps gives 355 watts. You need a converter that can supply that much plus a little extra because the process is inefficient. I would think 400-500 watts would be good enough but it depends how much difference in cost there is. Key here is it must put out 100 volts not 120 volts.

bignastyid

Titan
Little research sems to show that PS5 power supplies are full range, Sony just slaps on a power label on for the intended country or maybe just for the cord. Old reddit post where this was discussed here.

If you look at the specs for a PS5 PSU(part number ADP-400DR), Input voltage: 100-127V 4.5A 50/60Hz, 200-240V 2.3A 50/60Hz

So it seems you just need to get a new power cable.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Little research sems to show that PS5 power supplies are full range, Sony just slaps on a power label on for the intended country or maybe just for the cord. Old reddit post where this was discussed here.

If you look at the specs for a PS5 PSU(part number ADP-400DR), Input voltage: 100-127V 4.5A 50/60Hz, 200-240V 2.3A 50/60Hz

So it seems you just need to get a new power cable.
yeah, i've found all around the same info, but not a single official one, so I'll go for the safest approach, just in case... I'll let you guys know tomorrow's update!

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
First
Why is everyone over complicating this. There's a silk screened label on the console for crying out loud.

It says exactly what power it will accept. Flip it over and look on the bottom....

https://assets.pawnamerica.com/ProductImages//e4616a4e-227f-4897-9537-05263db780af.JPG

https://assets.pawnamerica.com/ProductImages//0b7b1452-7284-4c31-a29e-a26e578f452e.JPG
The models displayed in those pictures is 1215A, and as I mentioned, mine is 1200A, which is labeled as 100v, you can search the manual online.

I ended up buying a transformer and it's working perfectly fine now

Last edited by a moderator:

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
First, That was an example where to look bud...

Yours has the very same label.

https://auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.a...118e941/i-img1200x900-1705669079357xvelk2.jpg

^ That's the 1200A. If you had plugged it into the wall without a transformer you would have probably fried it.

Nevertheless, you have it working, which is good.

/thread
Yeah sorry, this topic had me quite frustrated... plus i made so many posts in so many sites that i forgot i didn't mentioned that it said thise voltages in the console and box label too... so yeah, luckily I didn't plug it straight into the wall. Thanks for commenting tho

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah sorry, this topic had me quite frustrated... plus i made so many posts in so many sites that i forgot i didn't mentioned that it said thise voltages in the console and box label too... so yeah, luckily I didn't plug it straight into the wall. Thanks for commenting tho
Understandable. You posted back with a fresh attitude so all is good. I get testy with posts with tone to them.

One thing I would keep in mind with said transformer and it obviously depends on what kind, brands, model, etc.. is they can get warm or hot. Best not to leave it on the carpet if that's the case.

Also worth pointing out, most games should work on a Japanese console, except ones with a China Region code, those are region locked apparently.

Enjoy the console, I'd argue the best part is the new controller. It's actually become one of my favorite controllers to use with the adaptive triggers adding to the immersion.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Understandable. You posted back with a fresh attitude so all is good. I get testy with posts with tone to them.

One thing I would keep in mind with said transformer and it obviously depends on what kind, brands, model, etc.. is they can get warm or hot. Best not to leave it on the carpet if that's the case.

Also worth pointing out, most games should work on a Japanese console, except ones with a China Region code, those are region locked apparently.

Enjoy the console, I'd argue the best part is the new controller. It's actually become one of my favorite controllers to use with the adaptive triggers adding to the immersion.
Yeah, transformer gets warm, like warm water, but way far enough from being hurtful, luckily I don't have a carpet on my room, but it's a good tip tho, thanks... yeah controller is amazing, that's one thing that is going to be imposible to port to pc

TRENDING THREADS