[SOLVED] I broke the sata data port of SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable

georgegalily

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
I bought a SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable such as this product:

Similar product on amazon:
618d4zOxCAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

However, the sata data plastic panel removed (pulled out) and the last copper pin cutted which is GND (as well as the fixation pin was broken).
This panel was pulled out (look the arrow in this picture):
t50Bj.jpg

Now, I am planning to assembel it pack to the board, without the broken pin and then use it as usually. Would this work? or it will be dangerous or harmful to the external hard disk. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Consider it dead. Like trying to start a car with the ground cable disconnected. There are other grounds in the cable but the drive output may or may not align correctly with those other grounds and may or may not be a necessary wire to carry the full load of what's used as less wires = higher voltage/amperage per wire.

You'd have to ask yourself what's more valuable, replacing an adapter or running the possibility of replacing the external drive and it's data loss.

You can chance it, but to me, personally, my data is worth a lot more than a cheap adapter that broke so easily in the first place.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Consider it dead. Like trying to start a car with the ground cable disconnected. There are other grounds in the cable but the drive output may or may not align correctly with those other grounds and may or may not be a necessary wire to carry the full load of what's used as less wires = higher voltage/amperage per wire.

You'd have to ask yourself what's more valuable, replacing an adapter or running the possibility of replacing the external drive and it's data loss.

You can chance it, but to me, personally, my data is worth a lot more than a cheap adapter that broke so easily in the first place.

Solution

georgegalily

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks much for these hints that comes in handy. For instance, I was wondering if any body tried to attach a sata data cable with a GND pin missing in the connector of a motherboard??.
In the end, I think re-soldering the pin or replacing the old board connector with a new connector is possible.

georgegalily

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Thank You everyone, last week I got a failing HD and tried this on and it was working (moving and copying some files of winrar and testing).

I use this broken sata adapter on a healthy drive and it worked well, and for a week now I did not encounter any issues even there was a broken pin.

Just pushed the pins in the plastic sata channels.
Note: I done this on my own without any responsibility for damage.