I built a computer and I have some questions a bout the SSD and Hardrive

Isaiah B

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
sorry if these are not the correct terms
So I built my PC and when I installed windows 10 I put it on my hardrive
since I just thought hardrives were for that kind of large storage
and anyways I just heard recently that you should install windows on the SSD why is that?
And I thought that you use the SSD for games and saving them
Please help

Solution
SSD's are massively faster for small random access read/write operations than hard drives are. This makes them very well suited to use for OS and program files because it'll make Windows and all your programs much snappier. As far as games are concerned, it's not likely to make a huge difference whether it's on a HDD or SSD as most games have been optimized to minimize disk access during gameplay anyway. The only real difference you might see there is how fast the game loads when you first launch it. However, the speed at which Windows boots will go from 1-2 minutes down to about 8-10 seconds going from a HDD to an SSD.

So basically what you heard was right. SSD is best for OS and programs.

JaredDM

Honorable
SSD's are massively faster for small random access read/write operations than hard drives are. This makes them very well suited to use for OS and program files because it'll make Windows and all your programs much snappier. As far as games are concerned, it's not likely to make a huge difference whether it's on a HDD or SSD as most games have been optimized to minimize disk access during gameplay anyway. The only real difference you might see there is how fast the game loads when you first launch it. However, the speed at which Windows boots will go from 1-2 minutes down to about 8-10 seconds going from a HDD to an SSD.

So basically what you heard was right. SSD is best for OS and programs.

Solution

JaredDM

Honorable
Yes, it can be done. You'd basically just need to shrink the partition size down to a size that would fit on the SSD, then image the whole drive over to the SSD. After you verify that it'll boot off the SSD with HDD disconnected, you'd need to format the HDD using a separate computer (if you connect it to the same computer it'll glitch out because of the two drives having a partition with matching Global Unique Identifier AKA GUID). And then you can re-install the HDD.

They also make software such as Paragon Migrate to SSD: https://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/
which will automate this all for you and make it really easy for $20. It'll even change the GUID on the SSD so it doesn't glitch out on you.

If you buy a Samsung SSD they have a free tool for this:http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
but it only works on Samsung SSDs.