I can hear my Hard Drive... Should I be able too?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
It was only recently that that I actually got rid of the jet engine loud stock CPU cooler I had for a lot quieter cooler. The computer still makes noise but it doesn't sound like a jet engine which is good though there is a noise I have noticed which seems to be coming from my hard drive.

I would record the noises but it's almost impossible to hear over my GPU fan and the micro vibrations coming from the front of my PC case but I'm certain it's the hard drive as the noise is coming from that area. It doesn't sound like anything bad, just sounds like the hard drive reading and writing.

But should I be able to hear it?

Solution
Depends if it is a an SSD or regular HDD.

If it is an SSD then no, since it has no moving parts.

HDD then yes. The faster the speed of the HDD like 7200rpm you will hear some. You can soften the sound from it with rubber standoffs.
Depends if it is a an SSD or regular HDD.

If it is an SSD then no, since it has no moving parts.

HDD then yes. The faster the speed of the HDD like 7200rpm you will hear some. You can soften the sound from it with rubber standoffs.

Solution

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Luckily it doesn't make any noise like that :) . The noise is especially more noticeable when I'm doing stuff such as installing.

Heads are moving frantically around the disk in that scenario. Yes, normal. Some drives are much quieter than others. My Toshiba is fairly loud; my WD backup drive is barely audible, and my Seagate is almost completely silent.