Aug 6, 2017
Hello,

I just assembled my first build:

ASUS B350 PLUS (6012 firmware)
AMD RYZEN 5 1600
SEASONIC BRONZE M12II 520w
SSD 850 EVO 500GB
CORSAIR VENGENACE LPX 2X4GB DDR4 3000MHZ

I installed Windows 10 Creators Update, I then install all the drivers and all. Here i reboot and then I still can enter Win10. Then I update my Win10 and reboot and everything is good.

But when I turn it off I cannot enter Win10, it doesnt even appear a logo or anything. Just a black screen after the Asus Logo. I tried this 3 or 4 times same result.

However Ubuntu 17.04 seems to work fine. So I think it must be a Win10 thing?

Keep in mind it's my first pc build, I'm afraid I did something wrong...

What could it be?

Solution
You can try resetting the MBR, that may work. The chances of it working fully are miniscule as I suspect that this is faulty installation media, but try that first before you proceed to do anything else as it may work.

If it doesn't, then you'll want to try creating new installation media. Get it from the Microsoft site and follow the steps. Try installing again. Here's a handy guide I recommend you follow: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If that doesn't work, it's likely a hardware issue, likely the Motherboard.

Once you're up and running, run a backup. Free tools like Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect will work.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
You can try resetting the MBR, that may work. The chances of it working fully are miniscule as I suspect that this is faulty installation media, but try that first before you proceed to do anything else as it may work.

If it doesn't, then you'll want to try creating new installation media. Get it from the Microsoft site and follow the steps. Try installing again. Here's a handy guide I recommend you follow: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If that doesn't work, it's likely a hardware issue, likely the Motherboard.

Once you're up and running, run a backup. Free tools like Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect will work.

Solution

eblanco

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I did it like those steps. One time I managed to repair boot by doing some "bcdboot" commands I found online. if it was the motherboard, why is that Ubuntu doesn't have any problems? And why can I use Windows normally and even reboot a few times?

I'm really puzzled here.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Again, likely faulty installation media.

TheSpiral01

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Simple solution, reinstall windows, let windows install the display driver. Use your PC. Unless you absolutely need any driver your installing, do not install them just cause you think you need it. Use your PC, if you come across a driver you need, install it, but not until you need it, this process will rule out faulty drivers. Post back if this works or not.