Question I can only get computer to power on by using a paper clip

May 14, 2022
Currently I can only get my pc to turn on by using a paper clip in the 24 pin.When i turn the power switch on Everything turns on fine but my fans are going very fast but my gpu fans do not work.

My gpu fans dont work and it wont broadcast to my monitor.It has power and is lit up but it's not working.

I still have not figured out why i need the paperclip because my psu is very new so there should be no issues.

So how do i get my gpu to broadcast to my monitor?

Currently I can only get my pc to turn on by using a paper clip in the 24 pin.When i turn the power switch on Everything turns on fine but my fans are going very fast but my gpu fans do not work.

My gpu fans dont work and it wont broadcast to my monitor.It has power and is lit up but it's not working.

I still have not figured out why i need the paperclip because my psu is very new so there should be no issues.

So how do i get my gpu to broadcast to my monitor?
It sounds like you don't have things connected right. Check your motherboard manual and double check motherboard connections, especially the front panel connections.

Make sure all motherboard connectors are fully inserted, especially the 24 pin PSU connector.

Ensure your GPU is fully inserted in the correct slot.

Ensure the supplemental power connection from the PSU is attached to the GPU.

Ensure your monitor display cable is fully inserted at the GPU and monitor.

Ensure the monitor power connector is connected to the wall and to the back of the monitor.

May 14, 2022
It sounds like you don't have things connected right. Check your motherboard manual and double check motherboard connections, especially the front panel connections.

Make sure all motherboard connectors are fully inserted, especially the 24 pin PSU connector.

Ensure your GPU is fully inserted in the correct slot.

Ensure the supplemental power connection from the PSU is attached to the GPU.

Ensure your monitor display cable is fully inserted at the GPU and monitor.

Ensure the monitor power connector is connected to the wall and to the back of the monitor.
I have checked these things.My pc was just working for months and all the sudden stopped powering on.

May 14, 2022
I mean fans
So does your PC run properly if you start it with a paper clip or not? The wording here is very confusing. If you don't have a screen, then everything clearly isn't starting up fine.
I mean my fans turn on and cpu turns on.The usb ports work and power stuff but when i plug in my hdmi cable to my pc nothing shows up

DSzymborski

Titan
Could a gpu failure cause my power button to not work and require the paper clip.I didnt think that a faulty gpu would cause my pc to not turn on.That seems like a motherboard problem.

OK, so everything isn't fine when you turn it on. My car mechanic would be very confused if I called him and told him that my car starts fine except for the fact that it doesn't start.

How do you know the CPU works if you're not seeing it post? Fans being on doesn't rule out anything, including PSU problems. Let's get the rest of the specs as well: exact PSU, exact CPU, exact motherboard, RAM configuration and in what slots, etc.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Could a gpu failure cause my power button to not work and require the paper clip.I didnt think that a faulty gpu would cause my pc to not turn on.That seems like a motherboard problem.

The motherboard is pretty difficult to swap but the GPU is easy. You're not getting a display even when the PSU turns on with the paperclip, it's definitely suspect. You eliminate the easy things then go for the hard ones.

Also: about all the motherboard does is wire the front panel switch to the same terminals on the PSU connector where you do the paper clip trick. There's nothing to fail in that, things really don't make much sense. Again, swapping the GPU with known-good is easy to do and will get some more information to go on.

On thing to do is take out the GPU and CPU and memory then try to power on. It should light lights and spin fans then either beep a POST code or leave trouble shooting LED's lit. If it does then it's one of the things you took out. If it doesn't then it's the motherboard or PSU: I'd go for the PSU first because there's too many old, poor quality ones out there.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022
OK, so everything isn't fine when you turn it on. My car mechanic would be very confused if I called him and told him that my car starts fine except for the fact that it doesn't start.

How do you know the CPU works if you're not seeing it post? Fans being on doesn't rule out anything, including PSU problems. Let's get the rest of the specs as well: exact PSU, exact CPU, exact motherboard, RAM configuration and in what slots, etc.
I guess you are right im not the best with explaining things. Unfortunately I dont know the exact specs and can't pull them up but this is what i know

Gpu radeon 460
8gb of ram in 2nd slot
Cpu intel something im not sure what it is but its newer.
Psu corsair 650 80 plus bronze
I dont know the motherboard but its from a like 2012-2014 pre built dell so it is probably very bad quality and old.

Edit:I just bought this psu probably about 5 months ago

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I guess you are right im not the best with explaining things. Unfortunately I dont know the exact specs and can't pull them up but this is what i know

Gpu radeon 460
8gb of ram in 2nd slot
Cpu intel something im not sure what it is but its newer.
Psu corsair 650 80 plus bronze
I dont know the motherboard but its from a like 2012-2014 pre built dell so it is probably very bad quality and old.

Well, if it's from 2012-2014 it's not newer because newer Intel CPUs wouldn't work on it.

You probably have integrated graphics as only a couple CPUs of that era from Intel did not have integrated graphics.

Corsair what 650? That's a wattage and an efficiency rating, not a model. Corsair has something like seven or eight different Bronze-rated 650W PSUs, of widely varying quality. I'm asking this information because it's important, not because of personal curiosity. And how old is this PSU?

May 14, 2022
Well, if it's from 2012-2014 it's not newer because newer Intel CPUs wouldn't work on it.

You probably have integrated graphics as only a couple CPUs of that era from Intel did not have integrated graphics.

Corsair what 650? That's a wattage and an efficiency rating, not a model. Corsair has something like seven or eight different Bronze-rated 650W PSUs, of widely varying quality. I'm asking this information because it's important, not because of personal curiosity. And how old is this PSU?
Corsair CV Series, CV650, 650 Watt, Dual EPS, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Non Modular Power Supply (Low Noise, Compact Casing, Black Sleeving and Casing) NA Version - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBBQBRB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SZN1J79QXJE2HS4FKM0Q

Thats the link to the psu.I bought it 5 months ago

Corsair CV Series, CV650, 650 Watt, Dual EPS, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Non Modular Power Supply (Low Noise, Compact Casing, Black Sleeving and Casing) NA Version - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBBQBRB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SZN1J79QXJE2HS4FKM0Q

Thats the link to the psu.I bought it 5 months ago
It's certainly a standard ATX PSU....but Dell is famous for proprietary connections in some of their prebuilts.

Did you by any chance use adapters to connect the PSU to the motherboard?

I used the cables that came with the psu and didnt need any adapters
I'd go back to the route of removing everything: CPU, drives, memory, GPU if it has one then try turning it on. It should at least spin the fans briefly.

The PSU may be new but there's this thing called infant mortality with consumer electronics referring to the tendency to fail fairly quickly, usually within a few months of life. That's why cheap products like to end warranties around the 90 day mark; just before they're most likely to fail.

May 14, 2022
I'd go back to the route of removing everything: CPU, drives, memory, GPU if it has one then try turning it on. It should at least spin the fans briefly.

The PSU may be new but there's this thing called infant mortality with consumer electronics referring to the tendency to fail fairly quickly, usually within a few months of life. That's why cheap products like to end warranties around the 90 day mark; just before they're most likely to fail.
This might be a dumb question but should i still use the paper clip i when do This or take it out and try the power button again?

This might be a dumb question but should i still use the paper clip i when do This or take it out and try the power button again?
You want to work with the power button...and you said it was working previously.

Really, the power button is as simple in operation as the paper clip. In fact, trace the two wires from the front panel power switch to the two contacts on the motherboard where they attach. Short those two contacts with the paper clip and it should turn on.

If it does your problem is the power button or wires leading to it, but that does nothing to explain the lack of display.

May 14, 2022
You want to work with the power button...and you said it was working previously.

Really, the power button is as simple in operation as the paper clip. In fact, trace the two wires from the front panel power switch to the two contacts on the motherboard where they attach. Short those two contacts with the paper clip and it should turn on.

If it does your problem is the power button or wires leading to it, but that does nothing to explain the lack of display.
Ok thanks i will take everything out tomorrow morning and try to geT it to work

Ok thanks i will take everything out tomorrow morning and try to get it to work.I actually tried earlier to short the two pins but it did not work.I could have been doing it wrong though.

It needs to be said: this thing is a Dell from 10 to 12 years ago. Point being it isn't really worth spending much on repairing and it's pretty obvious it's met it's end of life based on the PSU replacement. You might could replace the CPU...IF you can find a cheap used one on eBay. DDR3 memory would probably be expensive, but you can find that. The motherboard though? No way you easily find an exact replacement and if you do it's still a 10 or 12 yo. Dell so likely has similar issues and it's proprietary so a standard mATX or ATX won't likely fit the case without mod's.

What it all comes down to is you need to ask yourself if it's worth investing a lot of time flogging a dead pony, as they say.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022
It needs to be said: this thing is a Dell from 10 to 12 years ago. Point being it isn't really worth spending much on repairing and it's pretty obvious it's met it's end of life based on the PSU replacement. You might could replace the CPU...IF you can find a cheap used one on eBay. DDR3 memory would probably be expensive, but you can find that. The motherboard though? No way you easily find an exact replacement and if you do it's still a 10 or 12 yo. Dell so likely has similar issues and it's proprietary so a standard mATX or ATX won't likely fit the case without mod's.

What it all comes down to is you need to ask yourself if it's worth investing a lot of time flogging a dead pony, as they say.
Ok so i have tried using the paperclip and starting the system and then plugged into the integrated graphics and nothing came up on the screen.I have not taken everything out of the case to test the psu like you said but i did unplug everything and the power button still doesn't work.The only thing that is fully out of the system is the gpu.

I actually changed psu because i switched pc cases to an nzxt case and the psu cables were not long enough.So i figured it was probably time for an upgrade

Edit:I think that either the motherboard went bad or the cpu but im not sure because i didn't know the cpu could stop it from booting.

Last edited:
Edit:I think that either the motherboard went bad or the cpu but im not sure because i didn't know the cpu could stop it from booting.
Yes the CPU can, as if it's internally shorted for instance.

But don't confuse booting with just starting up: if it spins fans and lights some lights with the CPU out there's some promise for the motherboard still.

Since you've got a decent case and new PSU I personally think it's time to upgrade motherboard and CPU too. If it can be budgeted, of course: an inexpensive AM4 board with 5700G APU will make a world of improvement for gaming.

May 14, 2022
Yes the CPU can, as if it's internally shorted for instance.

But don't confuse booting with just starting up: if it spins fans and lights some lights there's some promise for the motherboard still.

Since you've got a decent case and new PSU I personally think it's time to upgrade motherboard and CPU too. If it can be budgeted, of course.
I plan to upgrade these things eventually but just need to figure out which one to make my computer work.Ive been getting around to upgrading gpu as well.

The fans will only spin with the paper clip in and will not work with the power button.So is this a good thing for the motherboard or bad?
If that is good then i will look deeper into my cpu and put it in a different pc to see if it works.

Edit: I understand that paper clip acts as a power button and connects these two pins but it would still be an issue if the power button didn't work

Last edited: