Question I Can Only Use Half Of My Total Memory Because The Other Half Are Hardware Reserve

moderntablets

Prominent
Mar 25, 2020
Hello, as you can see in the title my problem is i can only use half of my total memory. My total memory is 8GB, 4GB ram in my both slots.

Here's a picture:
https://mega.nz/#!r8kU2SrC!RAGny4_Dx974Vw8yjf1AH5xyCJQ37M9Fwwh4BicWxmo
There was no app running at that time.

As you can you can see out of 8GB, I can only use 3.6GB because 2.3GB are (in use), 462MB (paged pool), 181MB (Non-paged pool), then 2.1GB are (Hardware Reserved). So my laptop can only use 5.9 GB while 2.3GB of 5.9GB are in use I can only have 3.6 available.

My specs:
Acer Aspire 3
Model Name: Aspire 3 - A315-42
Part Number: NX.HF9EK.017
AMD Ryzen 3 (3200U, 2.60 GHz, 4 MB) - 39.6 cm (15.6") LED - 16:9 Full HD - LCD - ComfyView - AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 - 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM - Serial ATA - No - Colour Shale Black - Weight (Approximate) 1.90 kg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Without a discrete graphics, it's better not to mess with igpu ram needs or you can end up with more issues than you think you fix.

And Op, your numbers are slightly off. You have 8Gb, with less than 1Gb in pools, so out of the 7.3Gb remaining, 2.1Gb is apportioned for hardware use, leaving 5.2Gb for software use. What usage you see just in windows will change with different apps, parts of which get shutdown or relegated to background use, so the page you are looking at saying you are using 2.3Gb is not set in stone, it's fluid.

But you still have a full 8Gb of ram usable, some by the cpu, some by windows, some by hibernation etc

moderntablets

Prominent
Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for the replies. So if the igpu uses it does that help it to perform it faster? or adds more memory to the graphics card?

And yeah before i added another 4gb ram because this originally only had 4gb. I can only use half of it also. If i was to upgrade say like 16gb would that mean i can only use half of it too?