I can Seem to Find How to Uninstall NVIDIA

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I have been told that when updating to Windows Fall Creator Update it installs a driver that ruins all other drives and crashes steam games. I am convinced of this because when switching to the integrated driver (Intel) the games no longer crash but they work MUCH slower. Heres the problem, From here https://gyazo.com/973e095b0205b63eb2d4d1b1903d78a4 I cant seem to find how to uninstall NVIDIA nor would IK how to get it back. From videos on youtube it should be in that part of the control panel. If you knows whats wrong I'm open ears. Ty for the help ^-^.

1. download DDU and save it to your desktop, get it from : https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU%20v17.0.8.2.exe
2. goto NVidia and manually select operating system video card model and type and save the file on your desktop
web site : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
now you failed to mention what windows you have (version) assuming windows 10 here (if not let me know its different for windows 7)

click on start button, then on the icon for power, now press SHIFT KEY and hold it, and click on restart
this will bring your PC into safe mode.

right click on DDU file, and select run as administrator, click on the driver type to select NVIDIA, then cleanup/remove button.
after reboot, let the pc settle in for a few minutes after booting up and run as admin the New NVidia driver, and install the new driver.
once done, reboot.

test video card

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Its windows ten, and from here I do what? Im not sure what you mean by save something from here on my desktop? https://gyazo.com/5ff0add8e4d39b14cb5d6559a437407c

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ddu link provided by Paladin is the download link directly so it's downloaded already to your downloads folder. If you can't find it, right mouse click the link again and choose 'save as' and choose where to save the file.

The graphics driver, Nvidia's download site has search fields for you to input your Windows version and graphics card model so Nvidia can find the right driver for you long as you put in the correct information. Once done click the green search button and Nvidia will give you the latest driver to download.

Microsoft installs generic drivers to get things running but not the best. Microsoft doesn't install Nvidia's complete driver package and thats why you don't see it in uninstall programs.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Going well so far, but how do Ik if its Intel or Nvidia I need to uninstall, My laptop seems to have both...

Since the Nvidia card is the one you plan to use, then that is the driver that is relevant.

Boot to Safe mode.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Once back to the desktop in safe mode, run the DDU. Choose the Nvidia option. System will restart to regular desktop when it is complete.

Once back again to the desktop, install the new Nvidia drivers that you downloaded from the Nvidia website. Afterwards, restart again.

At that point, if it was the drivers, you should be good. If this is a laptop you might have to go into either the Nvidia control panel or the Intel utility and manually select the option to always use the Nvidia discreet graphics OR to simply disable the Intel graphics adapter. On some machines there may be settings in the bios to do this as well.

If it is a desktop then installing the drivers and making sure your game monitor is cabled to the output on the Nvidia card should be all you need to do to know without any doubt that the integrated graphics are disabled.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
So sorry for all the difficulties, but i did the whole DDU in safe mode then install the driver that was awaiting on the desktop plus a reboot, and it still crashes. I also selected the option in NVIDIA control panel to set it as the main graphics card to use. This then allowed it to crash games that weren't using it as a Graphics card. I know for a fact the the Intel one that works doesnt crash if I set ti to my steam games or any game, it just runs SUPER slow and laggy. (I play geometry dash a game that is like the least graphic intense game in my opinion) So I would like to know if when I did the DDU in safe mode if rather uninstalling NVIDIA if i should have uninstalled Intel? Or like I said I tried setting NVIDIA as my main, but I dont know from looking on the internet how to get to BOIS and stop Intel. I have a Lenovo laptop if that helps. Ty for all your help <3

Did you "update" to the Creators update release of Windows 10 or did you create a USB installer of the ISO release of that version and do a full, clean install of the new Windows version?

If you updated, I would highly recommend that you do a full, clean install instead. Since the first release of Windows 10 it has been well documented that "updates", "refreshes" and "repairs" don't turn out well in most cases. A clean install is the best choice every time something new releases or when there are issues with the current installation.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Here's what had me super confused. I just did a recovery on the day of my first question yesterday on this laptop that I had for three years. All other times before this one i did yesterday I had used an onkey recovery system restore feature. This would factory reset it back to the part were i opened the pc. This previous time however I had to do it through the setting way( https://gyazo.com/88bb213b046e3120819a2f93e160f92b )because the onkey Recovery method said it couldn't find a partition path or something (I probably should have asked how to fix that issue before I did it the other way) After reseting it from the one that says "Just remove my files" the PC took about 8 hours and booted up entirely different then the last 3 times I did a factory reset. Things include it booting in Windows 10(Usually Windows 8), Booting with only recycle bin (Usually there were like 30 icons), and it started on the "Fall Update" which Is the soul reason i Reseted my comp was because it didnt work before I did. Now im assuming there is no escape from this update and I might need to wait for the next. But Idk if its permanently broke >~>. Ty for the help

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
So to answer your question I USUALLY had to update to windows 10 but as of yesterdays odd way of resetting it, it came with windows 10 and Falls Update. Legit the one thing I didnt want when i resetted and was positive it'd be gone -_- Now that I think about it I think that button "Just remove all files" is not a recovery... I think it legit removed all my files :eek: maybe i can still do a recovery...?

Forget about the factory reset crap. All that does it put all the original useless bloatware and useless "optimizing" utilities back on there too. You need to do a clean install. Clearly, from what I'm getting through your description, it has never been done. If you can still access the system at all, then back up anything important that you have before going forward, likes files, folders, games, pictures, music, movies, etc. that are not replaceable.

If it's already past the point where that is possible, then don't worry about it.

Download the latest installer as per the steps in the instructions and create bootable USB media with the latest Windows release on it.

If there are other drives attached to the system besides the drive (NOT partition, DRIVE, the WHOLE drive, not just a partition) you plan to install the OS on, disconnect them whether they are internal drives or external drives.

Next, attach the USB drive, start the system, enter the bios by pressing delete, or F2 or whatever it is that your system requires in order to enter the bios and use the one time boot order override if your system has that, or temporarily change the boot order so that the USB drive is the first drive in the boot order, save settings and exit bios. System should boot the installer you created as per the instructions.

Follow the guide the rest of the way though.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

ANY other method is unlikely to offer a resolution to your problem, and if the problem is actually hardware related, like a bad graphics adapter or overheating hardware, this still won't fix that, but I rather think your problem is software, not hardware. Follow the step EXACTLY as outlined. DO not deviate from them IN ANY WAY.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Looking at what happened to that computer it looks Exactly what mine went through when clicking that button, except i didnt have a backup so im thinking everything is completely gone forever. In other words how can you tell I didn't do that when it looks like the exact steps minus doing any backups and i didnt turn any of those options off... By the end of this last rest I ended right where these steps end a desktop with recycle bin and Nothing else. If however you are sure it wasnt a clean install I did I'm sorry but I cant understand how to do that and I'll just end it here and wait for a new Windows update that will hopefully fix the stupid driver problem this one brought. Ty for all the help and sorry for being a pain. >~>

Another version isn't going to change anything. The problem is with the screwed up boot partitions and installation you currently have most likely. You NEED to delete ALL of the existing partitions on the drive by using the Custom method. There are differences, you are just refusing to see that they exist.

Of course MOST of the installation steps are the same. It's the ones that are NOT the same, that make all the difference. If you are installing using the OLD boot partition AND not installing to UNPARTITIONED space, allowing Windows to create the necessary partitions and perform the necessary formatting, by itself, automatically, then you are just reinstalling the same problem over and over again.

Also, it might be a very good idea to reset the bios settings by removing the access panel on the back of the laptop and disconnecting the CMOS battery (NOT the main battery, the CMOS battery used by the motherboard for the bios settings. Easily accessed and disconnected much as you would do when changing the drive out) for a few minutes to reset the hardware tables, then reconnect it, restart, install from the USB drive.

If that is beyond understanding, then I guess I have failed in expressing the necessity of following the steps that have been outlined.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Ok all honesty can i skip the USB drive steps and start from whats marked in the outline as II Installing Windows 10? I cant do the first part but if that's also necessary I'll try and ask a person near me to maybe help in doing that part or if you have a video that could make it a bit easier cause Idk really some of the terms like bios. Im 17 so I dont really have just a basic understanding of computers.

If that guide and the steps I've offered are beyond your skillset, then I'd suggest that it's probably a very good idea to refer the contents of this thread to somebody with the necessary skills and experience to follow them, and have them assist with the process. I can't really make it any simpler than I have although creating a video tutorial is something that is interesting and perhaps I will give some thought to doing. For 95% of people the tutorial that I wrote has seemed to work in almost every case though, advanced computer skills notwithstanding.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

so i need to do the USB step?

Yes, exactly as outlined. Every step is important. There are no steps included that are not necessary. Having the RIGHT installation media is one of the biggest steps and that is why the instructions for doing that are included as part of the process. If you are able to BOOT from a USB drive, then I guess you can skip resetting the bios by pulling the CMOS battery, but it's recommended in weird cases like this because sometimes that's all it takes.

Or you can just UPDATE your BIOS, like was suggested probably needs to be done ANYHOW.

What is the EXACT model number and service tag, or express service tag, of your laptop? There should be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or stuck to the case underneath the battery in the battery compartment, that has the FULL model number or the service tag number on it. I will see if I can find you some detailed information on getting into the bios or updating the bios, to make it somewhat clearer for you. You'll probably need to get into the bios to set the boot order to USB in order to boot from the installation media anyhow.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Its a Lenovo Idea Pad Z710 - Model Name: 20250 - S/N: AB20295751 - P/N: 59396561 - MO: AB03091028 - MFG Date: 13/09/10

First off, here is the specific product support page for that unit.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z710-notebook/80ak/59396561/ab20295751?linkTrack=Caps%3ABody_SearchProduct&searchType=6&keyWordSearch=AB20295751

Here is how to enter the BIOS for your unit.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500216

There are several different methods listed there. If you can't get into the bios using the Function key method, the first one listed there, then try the next option, click on the Windows 10 method and try that instead if your system boots too fast to do it normally.

To update the bios, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jMz7KV76VA

And READ this:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500008

If your bios version is not 7FCN96WW then it's recommended that you update to the latest version and you can find the bios file here to be used with the updating instructions listed above if necessary:

BIOS update: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/7fcn96ww.exe

BIOS update readme: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/7fcn96ww.txt

If you find that you are not comfortable with updating the bios, or if you already have that version installed, then don't do it. Simple as that.

harryquin2000

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Hey these links are super helpful, just wondering how you got to the update you found. Like i saw it when searching for windows 8 (64-bit) but not any updates for windows 10. mine is 7FCN35WW not 7fcn96ww.
https://gyazo.com/e3fbd75eea3a6e4b83065f3427165b69 ~ Windows 10 (64-bit) filter
https://gyazo.com/3b8acff1d84059f2e8ab45d015c52511 ~ Windows 8 (64-bit) filter [The one that your recommending] This system is originally windows 8 as the sticker says on the bottom, but I want to make sure. All i need is a Yes Update or No Update and I'll be good to go through with this Thanks! ^-^

They don't specifically LIST a bios update for Windows 10 machines, because that unit never CAME with Windows 10, but it doesn't matter. The newer the bios version, the MORE likely it is to be compatible with Windows 10 rather than running a bios version that was current only when Windows 7 was dominant. Since 8.1 and 10 are a lot more the same than Windows 7 and 8.1/10, it should offer some better compatibility. Still not probably MANDATORY, but certainly beneficial IF that versoin is actuallly newer than what you currently have installed.

I can't tell you, or anybody, that they NEED a newer bios version, but I can tell them that often it clears up a lot of problems and in some cases is essential for certain hardware to even work correctly at all. Other times, it changes nothing. Better a chance than no chance though. They don't release newer bios versions unless there is a compelling reason to do so, so it often makes sense to update.