[SOLVED] I can still see my screen when i disable igpu and only use dgpu but its performance drops so bad that i cant even enjoy the laptop.

Apr 9, 2021
So after 5 years i finally realized I've never used the non igpu fully, so i decided to give it a go, now the problem is i read online that the igpu is a way for the NVIDIA card to be able to interact with the screen hence why i cant change brightness or open NVIDIA control panel after i disable igpu in device manager. the problem comes when after some searching , no one was able to even have their screen on, but mine does turn on and works but games seriously bug (lower fps than if i use an external monitor with only NVIDIA GPU, and doesn't even match the fps that it monitors to what i see). Now my external monitor is a trash projector hence why i don't want to use it, but the problem is this, every time i launch a demanding game specifically for NVIDIA optimus to work, msi afterburner still shows only about 40% of my NVIDIA card working, and about 100% of igpu, and most importantly it is nowhere near the same results as if i was to turn of my igpu completely and run on external monitor. so what can i do? i get the optimus is supposed to make my NVIDIA kick in and igpu is only on to transfer the info onto my screen but its clearly stopping my NVIDIA card from operating ANYWHERE near the best it can when igpu is off and i use external monitor. for reference, when only igpu is enabled, heaven benchmark is ( fps - 9.5, score - 239, min fps - 6.3, max fps - 20.4) as for when only NVIDIA GPU is enabled, heaven benchmark is (fps - 52.8, score - 1331, min fps - 13.1, max fps - 91.2). also a game i play which inst high demand called ddnet (a client of tee worlds) has massive results. Only igpu enabled, fps 150+. Both gpu's enabled and 3d settings are set to auto select but rest of settings are set to max performance,fps 400+. both cards enabled but 3d settings are set to NVIDIA, windows powers consumption is set on high power (NVIDIA gpu), fps 250+. igpu disabled and using laptop screen, fps 7-19 +-. igpu disabled and using external screen, fps 1300+. clearly NVIDIA is capable of so much but when i use the "NVIDIA optimus" technology, it makes the dgpu pointless, and yet only way to use NVIDIA is by connecting even the same laptop screen but thru the HDMI port and not the cable port on the motherboard.

Solution
that isnt realy what im talkign about, what im saying is not about power per say or battery, im just asking if there is a way to sue the full dgpu on the laptops screen or is there any way to use the igpu only on the laptop screen and run the dgpu at the same time only on the external screen, the problem isnt about battery or my dgpu not doign enough, its about the fact that , the only way my laptops screen is connected to the dgpu is thru the igpu, so when i disable my igpu my laptops screen cant comprahend what signal the dgpu is sending to it, there for making it low fps and struggle. however, sicne the dgpu iss connected straight to the hdmi port, unlike the igpu is only connected to the laptop screen port...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a laptop. Therefore the overriding compulsion is battery savings, even when plugged in, as the mains power charges the battery constantly, the laptop runs off the battery. Which creates heat.

To that extent, the igpu is Always active. It consumes far less power than the discrete gpu, so when you play a game, the dgpu is supplemental to the igpu. Which means minimal power usage, minimal charging and the battery stays cooler.

If you use just the dgpu, that's maximum power usage, maximum charging effort, much higher heat in the battery, which shortens its effective lifespan for charge/discharge.

The dgpu being supplemental will only use as much as needed, regardless of what its capable of, so maintains a lower power usage. A desktop has no battery, so concerns there are none, a dgpu will work as much as able, power not being a limiter.

When it comes to laptops, battery is the #1 limiter, whether cpu or igpu or dgpu. It's all about preventing heat buildup. Aftermarket cooling fans, tables, pads etc are designed for just that purpose, cool the battery, not the cpu or anything else. The hotter the battery, the less efficient the power transfer, faster the battery drains, higher the charging amount, higher the resultant heat from charge/discharge cycles.

It's a dance, a balancing act. If you only need 200fps, that's all you'll get, whether the dgpu is capable of 1300fps or not. It's got to balance out with heat outputs from the dgpu, heat outputs from the igpu, heat outputs from the cpu, and heat created by charge/discharge in the battery.

Apr 9, 2021
It's a laptop. Therefore the overriding compulsion is battery savings, even when plugged in, as the mains power charges the battery constantly, the laptop runs off the battery. Which creates heat.

To that extent, the igpu is Always active. It consumes far less power than the discrete gpu, so when you play a game, the dgpu is supplemental to the igpu. Which means minimal power usage, minimal charging and the battery stays cooler.

If you use just the dgpu, that's maximum power usage, maximum charging effort, much higher heat in the battery, which shortens its effective lifespan for charge/discharge.

The dgpu being supplemental will only use as much as needed, regardless of what its capable of, so maintains a lower power usage. A desktop has no battery, so concerns there are none, a dgpu will work as much as able, power not being a limiter.

When it comes to laptops, battery is the #1 limiter, whether cpu or igpu or dgpu. It's all about preventing heat buildup. Aftermarket cooling fans, tables, pads etc are designed for just that purpose, cool the battery, not the cpu or anything else. The hotter the battery, the less efficient the power transfer, faster the battery drains, higher the charging amount, higher the resultant heat from charge/discharge cycles.

It's a dance, a balancing act. If you only need 200fps, that's all you'll get, whether the dgpu is capable of 1300fps or not. It's got to balance out with heat outputs from the dgpu, heat outputs from the igpu, heat outputs from the cpu, and heat created by charge/discharge in the battery.
that isnt realy what im talkign about, what im saying is not about power per say or battery, im just asking if there is a way to sue the full dgpu on the laptops screen or is there any way to use the igpu only on the laptop screen and run the dgpu at the same time only on the external screen, the problem isnt about battery or my dgpu not doign enough, its about the fact that , the only way my laptops screen is connected to the dgpu is thru the igpu, so when i disable my igpu my laptops screen cant comprahend what signal the dgpu is sending to it, there for making it low fps and struggle. however, sicne the dgpu iss connected straight to the hdmi port, unlike the igpu is only connected to the laptop screen port, the external monitor can converse with my dpgu perfectly and hency why it runs smooth

Apr 9, 2021
if the performance is bad after you disable igpu. reenable it

What the exact laptop model?
so my laptop is the dell 15 7000 gaming series,
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
60hz 1080p monitor
basicaly the cheapest and oldest verions of the 15 7000 gaming series

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
that isnt realy what im talkign about, what im saying is not about power per say or battery, im just asking if there is a way to sue the full dgpu on the laptops screen or is there any way to use the igpu only on the laptop screen and run the dgpu at the same time only on the external screen, the problem isnt about battery or my dgpu not doign enough, its about the fact that , the only way my laptops screen is connected to the dgpu is thru the igpu, so when i disable my igpu my laptops screen cant comprahend what signal the dgpu is sending to it, there for making it low fps and struggle. however, sicne the dgpu iss connected straight to the hdmi port, unlike the igpu is only connected to the laptop screen port, the external monitor can converse with my dpgu perfectly and hency why it runs smooth
Exactly, it's all tied together. The dgpu isn't tied directly to the hdmi, the dgpu uses the igpu. It's a supplemental graphics, not a primary graphics. In many laptops, the dgpu doesn't even activate if you are not plugged in to mains power, because it would drain the battery in minutes and that kind of drain that fast causes a tremendous amount of heat.

You can't seperate dgpu and igpu, they work together. If the output is simple, like running around in windows etc, the laptop won't even engage the dgpu, it'll just use the igpu, regardless of monitor connections. It's only when the load exceeds the igpu ability (gaming etc) that the dgpu is tasked with picking up the slack. It's not 2 different outputs, it's the same output from 2 different connections, all tied into the master source, the igpu.

Which all ties back to the battery as the primary reason a laptop does anything. It's not at all like a desktop where you could seperate the outputs, plugging into the dgpu for one monitor and the motherboard for the other. With a laptop, the igpu IS the primary output, on a desktop the dgpu IS the primary output. Very different.

Solution
Apr 9, 2021
Exactly, it's all tied together. The dgpu isn't tied directly to the hdmi, the dgpu uses the igpu. It's a supplemental graphics, not a primary graphics. In many laptops, the dgpu doesn't even activate if you are not plugged in to mains power, because it would drain the battery in minutes and that kind of drain that fast causes a tremendous amount of heat.

You can't seperate dgpu and igpu, they work together. If the output is simple, like running around in windows etc, the laptop won't even engage the dgpu, it'll just use the igpu, regardless of monitor connections. It's only when the load exceeds the igpu ability (gaming etc) that the dgpu is tasked with picking up the slack. It's not 2 different outputs, it's the same output from 2 different connections, all tied into the master source, the igpu.

Which all ties back to the battery as the primary reason a laptop does anything. It's not at all like a desktop where you could seperate the outputs, plugging into the dgpu for one monitor and the motherboard for the other. With a laptop, the igpu IS the primary output, on a desktop the dgpu IS the primary output. Very different.
little things to clear up, im always plugged in to charging, also i dont think you are right about the dgpu not being connected to the HDMI, because only when u block everything but the HDMI thats when the dgpu can operate at max, whilst if u leave igpu enabled then the HDMI struggles, also if u disconnect the dgpu nothing will work through the HDMI proving that the igpu isn't connected to the HDMI at all, and its only the dgpu that is. But i am thankful for your answers.