I can\'t boot my asus x401a from usb windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

volks1989

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I have an ASUS x401-a and I'm trying to boot backtrack 5 via usb which I've done previously with windows 7 and my acer aspire , when i reboot it i hit escape and it brings me into bios settings i put my usb chipset as the 1st in boot priority order and try to boot backtrack and it boots straight into windows 8 everytime.... Some one please help me with this I miss security testing on my network. Thank you in advance. Volk.

Solution
I found an answer on the ASUS Support site.
I have an ASUS X401A with Windows 8 and was trying to figure how to run the "AVG Rescue CD" from a USB stick.
Worked fine for me.

Solution
Please enter the BIOS (press and hold F2 key when power on). Switch to “Boot” and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled. Then switch to “Security” and set “Secure Boot Control” to Disabled. Press F10 to save and exit. Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when notebook restart.

dusdat

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
When I hit the esc button when I restart I can select frrom which boot device I want to boot, when I select the removable disk the screen just turns black, and the usb device isn't doing anything (because the light on the usb is off). The only remaining option once in the black screen is turning the pc off.

Thank you for your advice: I will open a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.