[SOLVED] I cannot access safe mode

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
I'm trying to access my BIOS to upgrade my RAM Mghz. (if that's the acronym.)

in order to do that I have to enter UEFI, but I can't do that since apparently my UEFI doesn't exist I'm trying to turn it on in Safe mode.

However when I try to access safe mode, my monitors don't detect my computer.

My computer IS ON, and it is RUNNING SAFE MODE, but my monitors won't turn on and recognize my computer in safe mode.

My machine has been fighting against me every step just to increase my RAM's effectiveness.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Solution
Obviously you have more than a headache with this machine.

Have you thought about returning to Microcenter to have them check things over? And possibly optimise the system for you?

Is there anyone in the family who could help you out in person?

Possible culprits for under performing systems can be the result of thermal throttling, virus's & malware. It's hard to really tell here seeing it's a pre-built machine, we're not really aware what state it's in.

---

I suggest doing virus/malware scans with Microsoft's built in scanning and Malwarebytes. If nothing of the sorts is detected, do a backup of any personal data to a usb drive and consider a Windows reinstall or get Microcenter to do that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your system specs?

To enter Bios is usually done by tapping (tapping i mean, spamming key as not to miss it) delete button repeatedly on your keyboard right after turning on PC. If fast boot is enabled, there is a recovery option in Windows 10 allowing you boot to Bios directly.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
UEFI is just a type of BIOS, its not a special mode you swap into. Almost every bios since 2009 has been a UEFI bios,

UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It was designed to fix shortcomings of the previous bios versions.
  • It brings support for GPT hard drive format
  • UEFI bios allow you to use mouse to navigate them
  • They often have graphical interfaces
  • it can use more ram
  • can be expanded with new modules
if your bios has CSM or Legacy boot method, its a UEFI bios already.

what monitors are you using that won't work in safe mode?

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
What's your system specs?

To enter Bios is usually done by tapping (tapping i mean, spamming key as not to miss it) delete button repeatedly on your keyboard right after turning on PC. If fast boot is enabled, there is a recovery option in Windows 10 allowing you boot to Bios directly.

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit|
AMD Ryzen 7
Summit Ridge 14nm Technology|
32.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)|
I want to enter my BIOS to change my MHz to a higher amount ^
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF (AM4)|
HP Pavilion32 (2560x1440@70Hz)
S24E390 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (EVGA)|
These monitors won't turn on when the computer is in safe mode they display a message saying no input detected
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000DX002-2DV164 (SATA )
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FYYS-05T9B0 (SATA )|

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
UEFI is just a type of BIOS, its not a special mode you swap into. Almost every bios since 2009 has been a UEFI bios,

UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It was designed to fix shortcomings of the previous bios versions.
  • It brings support for GPT hard drive format
  • UEFI bios allow you to use mouse to navigate them
  • They often have graphical interfaces
  • it can use more ram
  • can be expanded with new modules
if your bios has CSM or Legacy boot method, its a UEFI bios already.

what monitors are you using that won't work in safe mode?

I am unsure why but these monitors:
HP Pavilion32 (2560x1440@70Hz)
S24E390 (1920x1080@60Hz)

will not turn on or detect input when the computer enters safe mode

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It is odd your monitor's won't display in safemode. Try just one monitor connected.

Your ram is currently running at 2133 double data rate. Windows/diagnostic apps read single data rate.

To change ram speed (if your ram has an XMP profile) is done in the Bios. If you can't enter Bios, see the guide i shared.

Can you upload a screenshot of the SPD tab in Cpuz, we'll have a look at your memory profiles.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
It is odd your monitor's won't display in safemode. Try just one monitor connected.

Your ram is currently running at 2133 double data rate. Windows/diagnostic apps read single data rate.

To change ram speed (if your ram has an XMP profile) is done in the Bios. If you can't enter Bios, see the guide i shared.

Can you upload a screenshot of the SPD tab in Cpuz, we'll have a look at your memory profiles.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I'm having significant trouble sharing images due to the website accusing me of spam. I cannot seem to share any links or images.

I'm trying to update anything that I can because I'm being told everywhere form North to South that there is nothing wrong with my rig, but I have trouble running things constantly. I just want to see if the money I spent was a waste or not.

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
What are your problems exactly? Setting ram speed most likely won't help here.

Well long story short, I asked for Microcenters best motherboard, their best CPU, and a GTX 2070.

I spent as much as I could and recieved the best they offered or at least had in stock.

I still have trouble running games, things go slow, and streaming is an issue sometimes.

I was being told that my RAM was not being used efficiently. due to low MHZ

I was hoping this would give my rig the boost it needs to run things and stream things properly.

If it's nothing I can do I'll drop the topic, but I don't see how I'm having these kinds of issues when I was given the best the store offered.

I clean my machine regularly, and I run benchmarks, I can run everything i'm told.

then I play something, then stream it and it runs like hot garbage.

I don't want to waste this IT knowledge on streamer crap, but as of a year ago it's officially my job and pays my bills officially. I'd like to get the best I can with what I have.

so thank you for assisting me regardless.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Have you thought about returning to Microcenter to have them check things over? And possibly optimise the system for you?

Possible culprits for under performing systems can be the result of thermal throttling, virus's & malware. It's hard to really tell here seeing it's a pre-built machine, we're not really aware what state it's in.

---

I suggest doing virus/malware scans with Microsoft's built in scanning and Malwarebytes. If nothing of the sorts is detected, do a backup of any personal data to a usb drive and consider a Windows reinstall or get Microcenter to do that.

Solution

thesuperjfj

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019

---

thanks for the help. I think I'll have microcenter look at my things, if it's nothing i can do, perhaps an upgrade is in order.