Question I cannot assign a letter to my drive.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 8, 2019
PLEASE HELP
I have a drive that is labeled as blue (primary partition) however it doesn't have a letter and is labeled as disk 1 partition 2, when i right click the drive it only shows up with the help option, ironically the help option doesn't help. it is a healthy but the only thing on the drive is a recovery partition. it says that the capacity of the drive is 488mb despite it being a seagate barracuda 500gb hard drive. i need to assign it a letter, so that the drive can be functional, any suggestions??
also how do i add images to a thread??

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Ok, well at least we found a drive hopefully, either

A) It did not boot off the media, it booted off the drive (you may have disabled the media or set it after the hard drive in the BIOS), USB must be first priority on newer systems to load even the drivers it needs, just like a DVD drive would be to load an OS

B) Your media is corrupt. Did you make it with the media Tool or just put the tool on it? Sorry if that seems dumb, but i had to ask.

C) Your media again, is missing vital drivers you may need or your BIOS is not set for installation.

On 8/10 you need to sometimes turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS, plainly called secure boot, in my BIOS i need to set which OS i'm installing (Windows 7 or 8/10) and you likely don't want the legacy boot choice either if you can avoid it on Windows 8/10...were there options at the bottom of that screen to press "F1-F12"? If so what are they? I dont even mind loading my win 10 drive to help if we get somewhere you need step by step instructions, but blue screening myself is a bit much lol :p