[SOLVED] I cannot enable Dolby Atmos with my new RX 6900 XT

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Hi,

Over the last 6 months I have enjoyed the using Dolby Atmos with my PC via my RTX 2080. Today I switched over to the RX 6900 XT only to find Dolby Atmos does not work.

I have gone to sound setting via the control panel and when I select my default audio device (LG TV SCCR, AMD HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE) and go to special sound I can see Dolby Atoms for Home Theater in the drop down box and when I select it and click apply nothing happen. If I click apply again an error pop up box appears saying “Something went wrong while trying to turn on spacial sound”. After a while a message pops up in the LG TV SSCR properties box saying “the device you are configuring has been removed”. I have to play audio again to get it back up.

I then decided to launch Shadow of the Tomb Raider and enable Dolby Atmos from there, sadly this did not work either. My audio device is the Sonos Arc and when I check the app it just says it’s outputting stereo 2.0. I‘ve set up the Sonos Arc to my LG CX 48” TV correctly as it works fine with other devices. I decided to put my Nvidia 2080 back in and Dolby Atmos worked fine, switch back to the 6900 and the problem happens again. I am using the correct HDMI 2.1 cable.

It would probably make sense that my first question is do AMD Radeon GPU’s like the 6900 xt support Dolby Atmos? If so does anyone know how to enable it?

My set up is:

Display: LG CX 48”
Speaker: Sonos Arc with Sub3
CPU: Intel 9900K
Motherboard: Z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 OP
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3800Mhz
GPU: Asus RX 6900 XT
PSU: Corsair RM 1000x
Case: Phanteks P600S

Everything else works well with my new 6900 xt. Any help with this would be appreciated.

EDIT: I’m using EARC to pass through audio to my Sonos Arc soundbar, so I’m not using a DAC/ AMP.

Update: I have heard from another user elsewhere who has the exact problem as I. It sounds likely this is a driver issue only repairable by AMD. I have reported this to AMD tech support and will update this forum with their response.

Last edited:
Hi,

Over the last 6 months I have enjoyed the using Dolby Atmos with my PC via my RTX 2080. Today I switched over to the RX 6900 XT only to find Dolby Atmos does not work.

I have gone to sound setting via the control panel and when I select my default audio device (LG TV SCCR, AMD HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE) and go to special sound I can see Dolby Atoms for Home Theater in the drop down box and when I select it and click apply nothing happen. If I click apply again an error pop up box appears saying “Something went wrong while trying to turn on spacial sound”. After a while a message pops up in the LG TV SSCR properties box saying “the device you are configuring has been removed”. I have to play audio again to get it back up.

I then decided to launch Shadow of the Tomb Raider and enable Dolby Atmos from there, sadly this did not work either. My audio device is the Sonos Arc and when I check the app it just says it’s outputting stereo 2.0. I‘ve set up the Sonos Arc to my LG CX 48” TV correctly as it works fine with other devices. I decided to put my Nvidia 2080 back in and Dolby Atmos worked fine, switch back to the 6900 and the problem happens again. I am using the correct HDMI 2.1 cable.

It would probably make sense that my first question is do AMD Radeon GPU’s like the 6900 xt support Dolby Atmos? If so does anyone know how to enable it?

My set up is:

Display: LG CX 48”
Speaker: Sonos Arc with Sub3
CPU: Intel 9900K
Motherboard: Z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 OP
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3800Mhz
GPU: Asus RX 6900 XT
PSU: Corsair RM 1000x
Case: Phanteks P600S

Everything else works well with my new 6900 xt. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I think you need to configure windows for your setup and # of speakers. The whole surround sound thing in windows is a mega Pain in the tail.

Reactions: shemsureshot
Hi,

Thanks, where is a good place to start if I were to do this?

If you are running arc, my tv has a sectional n for sound that allows you to configure which formats your sound bar supports.

Secondly it depends on chipset and which device is providing your sound. I use fiber optic to my recover and code it as dd 5.1 using the realtek software with 5.1 speakers in realtek software.

I can't remember how to setup speakers through the video card however.

Reactions: shemsureshot