[SOLVED] I cannot enter bios because of Numlock on keyboard

Milkym0o

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I was moving my keyboard between two PCs, since I have just the one for now. All of a sudden it stopped responding to either of them. I managed to get it to work on one by removing the battery.

However I think I'm snookered at this point on the second. I CMOS reset but it has turned back on auto NUM Lock which I can't turn off with my Noppo Choc Mini, in order to get into the BIOS to bloody disable it. My system stays at the Motherboards "Press F1 to setup page, before posting or BIOS.

Is there anyway I can get into BIOS without using the keyboard at all? This have been driving me mad.

Solution
Delete, F2, F8 and any other combination, including shift/ctrl that you can think of I've tried.

Keyboard works perfectly fine on second system after CMOS reset, but I can't advance past "press F1 to run setup" on this one
this sounds more like an issue with your keyboard in general more than just an issue with your NumLock status. NumLock would not be affecting every key on the board.
possibly it is not being detected as an input device this early in the boot process even if it's lights are turning on.
or perhaps this is just a strangely designed motherboard without average BIOS entry methods?

i would just get a nice new keyboard and stick this thing with the system that actually recognizes it.

Milkym0o

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
NumLock should only affect the NumPad.
why is NumLock preventing you from using Delete or F1?

you could just run to Walmart or somewhere similar and buy a cheap keyboard that's Function keys aren't affected this way by NumLock status.

I always had it disabled on launch cos iirc it prevents you using the function keys, at least on that particular keyboard

Milkym0o

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
you should still be able to use the Delete key to enter the BIOS though.
i can't imagine NumLock also affecting that.
Delete, F2, F8 and any other combination, including shift/ctrl that you can think of I've tried.

Keyboard works perfectly fine on second system after CMOS reset, but I can't advance past "press F1 to run setup" on this one

this sounds more like an issue with your keyboard in general more than just an issue with your NumLock status. NumLock would not be affecting every key on the board.
possibly it is not being detected as an input device this early in the boot process even if it's lights are turning on.
or perhaps this is just a strangely designed motherboard without average BIOS entry methods?

i would just get a nice new keyboard and stick this thing with the system that actually recognizes it.

Solution